Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

adding new pup to multidog house

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Tane, Jun 27, 2019.

?

should older dogs be allowed to put a new puppy "in its place"

1. yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tane

Tane PetForums Newbie

So I'm currently living on my fathers land, I'll be about a quarter mile from their house. The land is fenced and the dogs will have free range. They have, a chihuahua 11, another chihuahua 2, chihuahua mix 1, chow 14. I have a 2 year old mountain feist. Now, my question being, I plan to get a male, German Shepherd/wolf mix. His wife says, that the other dogs should be allowed to "put him in his place, because they rank higher" is this true? I can understand allowing that for the Alpha, which is the 11 year old chihuahua.

The 2 year old chihuahua, has a ahabit of bullying and starting fights with the chihuahua mix, so I don't care for the idea of allowing the bully to think he can walk over my pup.

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I see dead chihuahuas.

Also, all the pack theory/hierarchy stuff is now debunked, not least by the guy who drew conclusions from the original research, so you might want to do a bit of updating on those theories.

I hope somebody else will be along here with some advice and opinions on both your plan, and the advisability of a wolf hybrid as a ‘domestic’ pet (?).

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hi @Tane welcome to PF :)
    Okay let's start with your planned puppy. Whoever is selling you a GSDXWolf is either lying to you or very irresponsible, probably both. Wolf hybrids don't do very well as pets, I don't care what the proponents of breeding them say. The lucky ones end up in sanctuaries, most end up euthanized before the age of 2. Not to mention they're illegal or highly restricted in most states - I'm assuming you're in North America? USA or Canada? Your insurance and liability would be through the roof.

Now, adding a puppy (hopefully a well bred dog from a reputable breeder). No, you should not let the other dogs put the pup in his place.
    Yes, you should allow normal interactions from well socialized dogs with appropriate temperaments, but it's not other dogs' job to train your puppy. It's your job to do that.
    Other dogs should have plenty of breaks from the puppy and plenty of puppy free time and puppy free places to escape to. Puppy needs safe places too.

Pack theory has been thoroughly debunked. Dogs have social relationships but they tend to be more fluid and contextual. Not a linear top to bottom hierarchy.

4. Tane

Tane PetForums Newbie

Alright, thank you. I didn't personally like the idea of the other dogs essentially bullying my dog. Thank you so much for your input!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice