Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Adding a puppy to a family with an existing older dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by finoni9, Jun 6, 2010.

1. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

Hi All

We have one very well behaved, obedient, great off the lead, non fussy, good at being left alone, good sleeping, lovely Yorkie (standard, so not the small size) who is almost 2.

I want to add another Yorkie to our family but hubby is not keen on having 2 dogs and sent me website pages all about how getting another dog would upset original dog, could create bad behaviour in the original dog. He also thinks people don't have more than one dog !?!?

So can anyone of you who have had a well behaved older dog and introduced a puppy into the family share you experiences, good or bad about how it went.

Thanks

2. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I have introduced older dogs and pups into my already big animal family and all always goes well :)

3. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I have 3 dogs, one is 3and a half, one is 16months the other is almost 10weeks. All has gone really well with the 2 youngsters being added to our family as it is at the time. :thumbup:

The only thing i would say is if your OH doesn't want one then maybe a wise choice would be to not get another at the moment, if my OH hadn't wanted either of our 2 additions i would have left well alone with the one dog as some days and nights can be hard work and you all need to want the puppy to make things run smoothly and settle well! ;)

Look forward to seeing what you decide to do! Keep us posted. X

4. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi, i have a nearly 10 year old lab, and a 6 month old pup, which we have had since 11 weeks old, and all has gone well, no changed behaviour at all from older dog, and there get on great and are good company for each other when we are not about. Good luck in convincing your OH.

5. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

It went so well with the 2nd dog that we added a 3rd and a 4th :)

I haven't had many problems, they seem to accept a new puppy, especially Tilly as she mothers them.

I was shocked that my parents agreed to me getting a 4th dog, if they hadn't agreed then i would have accepted it, after all everyone in the household has to be onboard with adding another dog to the family.

As for your OH saying that no one has more than one dog send him on here, most members have 2 dogs or more :)

6. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

I have experience of both negative and positive reaction when introducing a puppy to an older dog.

About 10 years ago I had Elsa, a 6 year old mongrel (sadly had to have her PTS September last year), she got on fine with other dogs, but constantly growled at Jena (Yorkie cross) when I bought her home as a six week old puppy. I had to keep them in separate rooms whenever I wasn't around. This went on for about 3 weeks, and I remember being in tears sometimes as I thought I'd have to re-home Jena.

Elsa eventually excepted Jena, then they were inseparable; when I took them both to park and let them off their leads they ran together almost all the time, as if they were stuck with superglue.

10 year old Jena's reaction to Rosie, 6 weeks old (Terrier cross) (in February this year) was totally different, she tried to mother and protect Rosie (mostly from our cats) from day one they get on brilliantly together, and if anything, Jena is too tolerant of Rosie's boisterous playing.

However, I am aware that as Rosie gets older, grows out of puppy stage, Jena may become less tolerant, and we may have a few fights while they sort out their issues; I'll have to deal with that as and if/when it happens.

I don't think there's much more work between having one or two dogs, but I find the enjoyment is definitely doubled. :D

My OH wasn't keen on having a second dog, even though I'd had two dogs when he moved in with me. I talked him round, and now he loves Rosie and Rosie loves him. :thumbup:

7. BasenjiBaby

BasenjiBaby PetForums Newbie

My Mickie (neutered male Basenji mix from a rescue) was 5 years old when we got Molly (9 week old Boxer X American Bulldog).
    When the rescue lady brought Molly round he thought she was great fun...until the lady left without her lol. The got on ok but I think he was a little put out at first, being an only child for 4 years an all:lol:
    He was never aggressive with her to, she used to chew on hs tail & ears & he's just look at us as if to say 'Help!'.
    As she got older he put her in her place & now they're great buddies:D
    Only prob we have is he's very protective over her around other dogs but she's still only a puppy so we're hoping as she gets older & is able to look after herself he'll not feel the need to protect her anymore.
    Another bonus was that Mickie had NEVER been allowed off lead...he'd ran off too many times after escaping from normal collar/half check/halti/harness (we named him wrong...shoulda been Houdini!) but as she's so good off laed he now ocassionally gets off with her to play...which is lovely for them both. If I could grow another arm I'd get another pup in a minute xxx

8. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone for your different stories - that's great - keep them coming :)

9. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I have a 17yr old collie, and a 14yr old leo and a load of cavs ages ranging from 13yr down to 3yrs most of these are x puppy farms bitches so love puppies and i have just added a now 12 week Aussie puppy. My old collie bosses the pup around is intent on teaching him some manners Indie loves the pup and at the moment he is asleep cuddled up to her. Two of the cavs sleep in a huge crate with him and have told him that whinging at night and you stay quiet until i get up.One of the cavs is very jealous of him and tells him off if he gets too close but this is getting better and i know in a few weeks will be playing with the pup. You must make sure that your older dog still has special time with you when the pup is asleep and to begin with the pup cant go walking so make this extra special time with him i'm sure that your old dog and any pup will soon be best of friends teaching him all the naughty tricks he does

10. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

I have just added a 12 week old collie pup to my 6 year old collie's life ... sometimes she looks at me as if to say "FFS" .... but most of the time they are great ... My 6 year old is very well trained (she was a rescue and came like that so I can't take credit), but had some dog aggression issues and still does so I was worried that she wouldn't like the dog .... However she has been great, patient, toleraant even when pup is hanging off her!!! They eat and drink out of the same bowl and everything .. The only thing I do't do is put them in the same crates at night ... Meg needs her sleep and her cage is too big for Ozzy at the moment, but once he is bigger I might join them together .

About to take them out for a walk in a minute... need to tire them out before I go to work!

Just be careful with others not wanting the pup .... my kids have voiced their opinion about the dogs and didn't really want another one, but I made the decision ... I ask them to take them out for wees when I am at work, but nothing else ... They are MY dogs, and not the kids and I took that responsiiblity with it.

C X

11. PedigreeUK

PedigreeUK PetForums Member

It's really interesting to hear about the different experiences people have had introducing a new dog. This is something I'd wondered about too.

Thank you!

Janet

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice