Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Acupuncture

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nonnie, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Has anyones dog had this, and if so, what were the results?

Oscar had his second session today (not the traditional needling, although as he is so well behaved we are considering it for his next course if we go ahead with it) and so far so good. I was warned he may get worse, but thankfully this hasnt happened. He was actually quite manic for the first 48 hours after his first session, but the sudden nice weather may have been a contributing factor.

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Banjo has it every 3 weeks & its brilliant :D as soon as the 2nd needle goes in he has a daft grin on his face with his tongue lollying out, she puts a needle under each of his front due claws to :eek: but he does'nt bat an eyelid :lol: He is due this thursday & you can see its just about worn off now :( but after he goes on thursday he will be flat out for the rest of the day & then back to his bouncey self on Friday :D worth every penny although his insurance pays thank spots. Its suppose to stop his leaking :eek: which is alot lot better but it improves his mobility greatly :thumbup1:

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Well he finished his 4 week course last week, and theres a huge difference in him.

He generally seems more alert, his stamina has increased (we're knocking a good 30 mins of our walks due to him not needing to stop so much) and his recovery time after exercise is much much shorter. He used to come home and basically just rest for the remainder of the day, now he's up and about more, and pestering me to go out again later. Since his amputation he's been a one walk a day dog, but he's being having 2 the past week and doesnt seem to be struggling or suffering at all.

He's harrassing Alfie more and trying to instigate play (much to Alfs disgust) and has also started to bugger off on our walks, something he hasnt done for years.

Im quite impressed with the results, as i was a bit skeptical about the whole thing, but the results speak for themselves.

4. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

thats really impressive results. did your vet recommend the acupuncturist to you? i think i will look into it for Max.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Its my vet that does it. He uses a laser treatment instead of needles, although he does perform the latter. He prefers to start off with the laser to see how the dog reacts. Oscar fidgets far too much to be a candidate for needling.

Sitting still is not his forte.

6. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

My vet uses it too link but she's into as much holistic treatment as possible.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

My vet, Neil Coode, is homoepathic, but only offers such treatments/consultations if requested. I wont have my boys seeing anyone else unless its an emergency. One of the best vets ive come across and my dogs think he's wonderful.

Im very much a skeptic at these things, but acupuncture is proven for pain relief, and im always willing to try anything if it means a better quality of life for Oz.

8. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

i haven't used it personally but a friend did for her sheltie who had arthritis , she felt it greatly improved the dog's mobility.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice