Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Acquired fish, before tank is set up.

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Flubdub, May 26, 2019.

1. Flubdub

Flubdub PetForums Newbie

Ok,so I’ve been surprised with two poor goldfish from our local fair with nowhere to put them. I have bought a new 300 litre tank that will be delivered tomorrow. The fish are currently in the biggest plastic container I have, and am doing water changes everyday. I know about tank cycling, but I’m not sure how to quickly (I’m talking ASAP) cycle this new tank so I can get the fish out of the crappy plastic box.
    I have a 50 litre tank already, that is well established and has two filters running in it. My plan is to move one filter over to the new tank, but neither of them are particularly powerful. Would I be better putting the media from it, into the new filter? Its a Fluval but not sure of model off the top of my head. Will I have have to add ammonia to it before hand? I have the API testing kit so am able to test the water as needed.
    In a nutshell, I know the basics, but I don’t know the best way to go about this.

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Once you get your new tank I would get it set up immediately and transfer the fish straight over without worrying about cycling it first. They are currently in an uncycled container anyway, so moving to an uncycled tank won't change anything except there will be a bigger volume of water to dilute the toxins in which will be much better for them. No need to add ammonia therefore, as the fish will be producing it.

If you can move either a filter or just some filter media over from your other, cycled tank, then fantastic, that will definitely help. And I'd just test the water every day and do water changes as necessary to keep the parameters as safe as possible. You'll be doing a fish-in cycle, but the media from your other tank should make the cycle go more quickly, and I assume the fish are quite small at the moment, so in a 300L tank you should be able to keep on top of things more easily than in a smaller container.

NaomiM likes this.
  3. Flubdub

Flubdub PetForums Newbie

Phew, that was the answer I was hoping for! Thank you. I thought I may have to keep them in the tub for a few days which obviously isn’t ideal. I have put one of my filters into the tub for now, and changed half of the water as ammonia was starting to rise.

4. danielled

danielled Guest

I thought fairs weren’t allowed to have fish anymore. I wouldn’t worry too much. Just mind they don’t jump out. When me and my sister were young we had goldfish in a bowl back then and one jumped out, we got home to find him lay on the carpet dried up. Mums solution then was put fish in lemonaide because it shocks the heart into beating which these days I don’t encourage, anyway she did that and somehow he survived being out of water for hours.

5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

If you get some seachem prime to use as water conditioner that will mop up any excess ammonia if your filter bacteria population are struggling a bit before they grow large enough.

Just make sure you test the water frequently.

Also cut back on feeding a bit. As long as the fish are healthy having smaller feeds for a bit wont do them any harm.

NaomiM likes this.
  6. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

I agree with moving the fish straight to the new tank, reducing feeds and using Seachem Prime :)

If you can move a filter from your established tank into the new tank with the goldies, then maybe you could take the new filter out of the new tank and cycle it in a bucket of water using ammonia? This would be quicker than a fish-in cycle, especially if you seed it with a little bit of media from the old filter, and once done you could put the new filter back in the new tank and the old filter back in the old tank.

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice