Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

ACP for vet visit?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nettles, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

How did I miss this thread?

Another fan of Sileo here for stuff like this. We always have it on standby for Fidget!

Is hydrotherapy an option? Sara goes once a month to keep her moving freely; she was hit by a car as a teenager and is at risk of arthritis so we want to try and prevent it as much as we can.

I did have to giggle at her spaced out photo, she looked so dippy :D

Nettles likes this.
  2. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

We might have to try Sileo as there was a problem with Phoebes bloods :confused: She has to go back tomorrow morning to have them done again. We’ve made the appointment with a vet who Phoebe doesn’t mind so much, so hoping she’s able to get the bloods without having to drug her at all. If not, I’ll ask about Sileo.

Hydrotherapy is sort of an option. Pheebs LOVES water, but I don’t think she’d be happy with someone touching her in the water and working her muscles. The vet thinks the hydrotherapist might let us use the pool as a “just for fun swim” and let Pheebs do her own thing so she’ll still be getting some low impact exercise, but not proper hydrotherapy.

I didn’t know Sara went to hydro! Does she enjoy it or just tolerate it?

lorilu likes this.
  3. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

Hi @Nettles. I'm just throwing my two penneth in here because I've had a hip replacement. My surgeon told me to stop taking ibuprofen as it wasn't effective for arthritis. He said the most under rated drug for osteoarthritis was paracetamol so I swopped to paracetamol & had much better pain relief. Isn't metacam an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen? I don't know if there is an animal version of paracetamol? I put up with my pain for years & completely destroyed all of my cartledge which also led to over compensating in my other leg & I will need this one doing in the near future. What I can say is the pain disappears instantly once the op is done. I know you said the vet said it is a last resort but I put up with the pain for far too long & wished I had had it done sooner. The recovery period for a dog is also less than a human.
    As an aside, have you tried Turmeric & Devils Claw for Phoebe? X

Nettles and Picklelily like this.
  4. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

She tolerates it. She’s never been a fan of HAVING to do something; it’s much more fun if it’s something she’s not supposed to do o_O She also does so much better when we aren’t there, so we often drop her off, grab a coffee and then head back.

Nettles likes this.
  5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Elliot went to hydro after his cruciate repair and he didn’t really like being touched in the water like you say @Nettles. He was on the treadmill and I asked about the big pool but I remember her saying it’s not so good for dogs with something actually wrong with them as it allowed everything to go in the wrong direction, if that makes sense! She said she only used the big pool for dogs swimming to get weight off, or low impact exercise for elderly dogs etc.

fernlady and Nettles like this.
  6. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Brilliant info, thank you @fernlady
    Phoebe has had Pardale a few times before which has really helped her. I’m almost certain it’s paracetamol and codeine (although I could be wrong) Unfortunately it can’t be used long term though which is why the vet has prescribed metacam. It’s helping at the minute as the muscles and ligaments around her hips are inflamed, but it doesn’t seem to do much for day to day aches and pains.

I’m sorry to hear you’ll need your other leg done now. What you’ve described is exactly what I’m worried about. I don’t want to leave it until Phoebe is in so much pain that surgery is the only option, because goodness knows what damage she’ll have done by then :confused: I’ll speak to the vet tomorrow and see if we can get a referral, or even another appointment with the ortho vet in our practice and see how much she thinks it’s progressed.

Phoebe gets Turmeric paste that I make myself for her, but haven’t tried Devils Claw. I’ll look into it now, thank you :)

fernlady likes this.
  7. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Oh bless her! Everything is more fun when you’re not supposed to do it :p

It’s so hard to know what to do about staying with Pheebs or not. We know she’s better when we aren’t with her, but then it makes the next visit even more traumatic for her because she knows we’re going to leave her. She caused such a fuss with the laser therapy that after the first couple of sessions we just left them to it and she was so much better as soon as we left.. but then the next visit was awful and she was having a meltdown before we even got inside. They couldn’t get her to calm down and had to ask my OH to come in because she was in such a state :(

8. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Yep, makes perfect sense and it’s exactly the reason why we didn’t think it was possible for her to just have a swim. The vet thinks that if hydro really isn’t possible, any type of swimming will still benefit her and help strengthen her joints, plus she has a little bit of weight to lose... but maybe it won’t help if everything is moving the wrong way.
    I actually think if she could have a couple of fun swims she’d love the place and would be happy enough with someone touching her because she’ll think it’s all just a big game.

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  9. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

@Nettles don't be sorry! I'll be welcoming my next op with open arms because I know the pain will be gone (nowhere near as bad as the first one just yet)!
    Phoebe is still quite young & her pain will only get worse. If she had a replacement now she would be pain free for the rest of her years. I was 46 when I had mine done & wanted to enjoy my walks again with Mylo. I never missed a walk but they weren't enjoyable & we could never try new places as I didn't know what the terrain was like. Joint replacement really is a miracle!
    Anyway, enough of me! The link below is where I get Mylo's joint supplement & his GLP. They've not long launched Devils Alternative but it has good reviews across the canine & human world. I take it in tablet form for an ongoing knee problem & it's that good, I've completely stopped taking painkillers.

https://www.riaflex.co.uk/canine/

Hope you are able to get Phoebe sorted & do keep us posted x

Nettles likes this.
  10. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Does Pheebs only get an anti inflammatory or does she have other pain meds too?

Thai has Onsior for the anti inflam and then Gabapentine for pain relief which helps with the aches.

Nettles likes this.
  11. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Thank you for the link!

Hope your next op goes well.. and with a quick recovery! :)

No, no other pain meds. She was getting metacam if/when needed and Pardale very occasionally. The vet wants her to start on metacam long term from now, and will prescribe gabapentine if the metacam isn’t helping.

fernlady likes this.
  12. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you tried cartrophen injections for Pheebs @Nettles? Matilda used to have injections for her arthritis when the metacam was no longer effective & I must say it worked really well.

I know it’s already been mentioned but I can’t recommend green lipped mussel enough, Rodney used to have it every day & it made a real difference.

tabelmabel and Nettles like this.
  13. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I am very surprised that the vet is talking about giving a pain med instead of the anti inflam because usually they are given alongside.
    As I said, Thai gets both and he doesn't have dysplasia so not as bad as Pheebs...has the vet given a reason for this?

tabelmabel and Nettles like this.
  14. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

No, cartrophen injections haven’t been mentioned as an option, but then again, she’s only just starting metacam longterm now so might be an option for the future.

Once we get this latest blip sorted and she’s been on the metacam for a while I’ll look at changing her from nutraquin to green lipped mussel as it gets very good reviews.

Oh I think I’ve got it wrong then :confused: I thought metacam was an anti inflam? :Wacky I thought she meant she’d get metacam and gabapentin together, but obviously not..

fernlady likes this.
  15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

How interesting! I have severe osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease in my spine, and degenerative arthritis in my feet and hips. I have discovered quite by accident that acetaminophen works better than ibuprofen at pain control.

However I don't think either can be given to dogs.

I am taking krill oil and curcummin for anti-inflammatory now and acetaminophen for pain. So glad to be free of the ibuprofen!

Nettles and fernlady like this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Metacam is anti-inflammatory with pain killing properties as well. Gabapentin is also for pain control. I have a cat with cancer taking gabapentin and piroxicam. The combination was quite effective for a while. She's had to go on to add harder drugs now

17. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Wonder if it would be worth combining a holiday with an orthopaedic consultation somewhere in the UK - it does sound as if a second opinion from someone who properly knows their stuff in this area could really help @Nettles.

18. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I think we have got mixed up.
    I thought you meant that the vet would prescribe Gabapentine instead of Metacam, not as well as.
    Thai has been on long term meds for a couple of years now so it makes sense that Pheebs isn't getting both yet as you are only just starting it regularly...sorry to add confusion.

I would definitely look at changing her on to Green lipped muscle, it's helped Thai immensely.
    Also do you do any rear end awareness exercises with her? I do a lot of work on paw pods, balance disks and platforms to help keep muscle tone and flexibility.

19. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

Try Devils Claw as well @lorilu. I noticed a difference within a week. I get mine from zipvit.co.uk . Sorry for hijacking @Nettles!

Nettles and lorilu like this.
  20. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

We’re on the same page now :D I just read my post again and it looks like I meant Gabapentin instead of Metacam, but no, I meant the vet would prescribe them together.

We did do a little bit of rear end awareness work with a very low platform, but tbh, I chickened out as I had no idea what I was doing and she was uncomfortable doing any type of sideways movement with her left leg at all. Even certain turns at rally are difficult for her as she holds her left leg almost rigid and she’s reluctant to move it out to the side or inwards towards her right leg.

No apology needed at all! It’s all very interesting :)

fernlady likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice