Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ACP adverse effects.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Malmum, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Has anyone experienced any bad effects from this drug? Flynn had it with the previous hip replacement and it worked well but this time i'm having my doubts.
    He has very restless episodes and seems scared at times - almost like an elderly person with dementia, he paces and just keeps getting up then lying down, then up again. I'm thinking this is not at all pain related as hie hip and leg are looking wonderful and working well.

Am having the vet out for a chat tomorrow about the ACP, as my vet no longer prescribes it and i'd like to know why. I'll be asking what alternative he would suggest and wonder if anyone on here has experience with a better calming drug.

Many thanks. xx

2. rona

rona Guest

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Ive been told Huskys dont do well on ACP, Tamgesic I think it is, is OK.
    When Nuke had her Scan I mentioned it to the Neurologist and he said he wouldnt use it anyway something to do with dogs with seizures not being good with it. Friend of mine with bags more experience has always said it can send them a bit strange

Another consideration is it Marts thats got the Hypothyroid? and is it the Auto Immune one? That apparently is hereditary, can make an appearance by 3 yrs, Its the one Nans got. When she had her anaesthetic, she was the worse out of the whole 6 Ive had for after effects. Looking back she must have been sinking into hypothyroid then as she was so low when I got her tested. I think premeds and anaesthetic can effect hypothyroid dogs more.

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Thanks for that Rona, it makes sense actually as Flynn sometimes seems scared, particularly in the evening for some reason. We found that giving him his ACP when he is a bit excited makes him worse and doesn't have the sedating effect we thought it would, only by giving it before he gets excited does it seem to work. He has had a growl at one of my daughters on two occasions too, something he's never ever done before. I read on Cahmpdogs someone whose dog had it post op one time was fine but two years later had terrible effects, a bit like I feel with Flynn this time.
    He's had his dose for tonight and tomorrow i'll ask Hugh for an alternative, I don't like what it's doing to him and although i'm fine with his recovery it's his mindset that worries me.

Sled dog - I'm not sure if Marts has auto immune hypothyroidism, didn't really know there were different kinds :eek: but it may be worth getting Flynn tested anyway just to be sure - I can get Hugh to do that tomorrow. Flynn doesn't have any of Marts symptoms though but might as well get him tested while I still have some insurance left.

Thanks guys, will let you know what Hugh says and what i'm trying next for Flynn.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice