Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Acid milk

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by ebonymooncats, Jul 9, 2009.

1. ebonymooncats

ebonymooncats PetForums Junior

I was wondering whether anyone knows anything about this as I was speaking to a lady who was telling me that mum cats sometimes can get acid milk? Is this right and if so what is it?

thanks

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

If they come into call whilst feeding I have heard that the milk can go 'off' or 'sour' a little. But Minnii has been in call and her milk was still fine according to the kittens!

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Ooo I didnt know this!

4. ebonymooncats

so can it hurt the kittens?

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

IF it goes sour and I must admit this is only hearsay, it can make them a little sicky. It is quite unlikely though, Minnii was in full blown call and the kittens are fine and 99% of mum don't come into call before the kittens are weaned anyway.

The only other thing I can think of that the lady was talking about was if there is a blood incompatablility between the mum and the kittens i.e. if kits are 'A' and mum is 'B', then the first 16 hours of milk can kill the kittens as they are allergic to her antibodies. That might make someone take about acid milk. This is commonly known as fading kitten syndrome.

Out of interest why are you asking?

6. ebonymooncats

just wondering really as I was chatting to her about kittens etc and she mentioned it so just wanted to know really...;)

7. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

learn something new everyday...

8. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I've had cats in call and never had their milk go sour, but I know people believe it does, but I think if the kittens are ill its for another reason. Any vomitted up milk comes up like cottage cheese, thats what milk looks like mixed with stomach acid, it doesn't mean it went down like that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice