Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Achatina Immaculata var. Panthera born with parthenogenesis

Discussion in 'Small Animal Classifieds' started by birdie86, Aug 17, 2009.

1. birdie86

birdie86 PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone!
    a friend from italy just got a bunch of little snails from her A. immaculata var. panthera by parthenogenesis (the snail didn't need a partner to reproduce) only postage cost. These babies are looking for a family so if you need snails to feed reptiles please don't answer to this add.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 birdie86, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

yesss please how much ??

i will have 2

xx

3. birdie86

only postage cost from italy. don't know how much yet, i'll give you the email of the person having them, i'm just helping her (it is her first unexpected egg laying ;)) :D you'll have some news soon ;)

4. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

Aww i love snails, had one called suzzanne but she died :(

is it really safe to post them from italy though? how long would they be in transit? Id be worried about them getting squashed or dehydrating.

5. birdie86

it depends on the postal type and on the office. but they can survive very long if well packed. They have to travel with wet substrate and some food. don't need too much oxygen and something for the heat if it is too cold. I got mine from uk to sweden and they were fresh as new. I also have a friend who ships them in all europe without any problem.

6. Pampered pets

Is it not illegal becaue of diseases etc

7. birdie86

I wouldn't be posting if it would. It's EUROPE. ITALY IS NOT THE THIRD WOLRD.

8. Pampered pets

well do EXCUSE ME!

It was a perfectly logical question, i know snails are illegal in america so i was just asking.

Forget it, and who mentiond third world countries?????????

Oh and by the way i was considering a couple, but never mind.

people should be encouraged to ask questions and find out facts before taking on a new pet to make sure its right for them not shouted down for it, and people DO ship animals around the world illegaly, just because soemthing is offered for sale or for free dosnt mean its legal!

#8 Pampered pets, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  9. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Wow o_O Some people need to chill the f**k out. There's no need to be rude, pampered pets was only asking a perfectly reasonable question. If you don;t want to answer queries you're gonna have a hard time getting rid of these.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

10. Pampered pets

Thanks Akai-chan, when i rehome a ferret the more questions a person asks the more i think they will be a good owner :)

I also wasnt sure about customs shipping animals from abroad, also i wanted to make sure the snails would be ok with a journey that far, they may be snails but they are still alive and have needs and feel pain i wanted to make sure it wouldnt distress them.

11. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I understand, when I rehome rats I expect people to ask questions and I'm more wary if they don't ask questions! I don't know much about snails but to be honest if I;d wanted oen I'd be asking exactly the same questions.

Oh btw do you have a website for your rescue?? Can you PM me if you do?

Peace
    Akai-Chan

12. birdie86

According to me it wasn't a perfect normal question. I wouldn't be posting on a forum if it would be illegal. it is just that my friend has this one snail that got her babies and she doesn't know what to do..60 babies to take care of and she doesn't want to not be able to take care of them. I'm not here to do illegal shipping (to get no money then since it is just pp cost) and since it is europe there are no diseases to worry about. And since you know that in UK they aren't illegal where is the problem to send them there? In italy they aren't either but....The questions about the shipping were perfectly ok. I don't change my mind on the question about diseases. Now if you want to help with these snails FINE, if you want to stay here arguing CHANGE THREAD.

#12 birdie86, Aug 22, 2009
  13. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

She just wanted to know! She never said anything about it being illegal it was a perfectly normal question. Why did you get angry if you though they were perfectly ok questions? If you're going to get stroppy then go advertise somewhere else. There's enough arguments on here without one about snails.:eek:ut:

Also it;s easy to euthaize them humanely. All you need is a tub and a freezer set to low temp. If there's been baby snails once there will be many more times in the snails life because they're haemaphroditic (sp?)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

14. birdie86

yep she never talked about legal...no i'm crazy :eek:ut: and i dreamt it! and thank you for the BRILLIANT explanation on how to kill them.

without mentioning that they are illegal in the USA for environment impact and not about diseases.

and what should i answer if they are illegal? "yes they are but today i'll do an exeption"??? if you want to know stuff about these snails ask me if you wanna know about gals in general, INFORM YOURSELF. and this is my last answer about this. Now i'll reply only to people that are willing to take care of them instead for people who will tell me HOW TO "HUMANLY" TERMINATE THEM.

15. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Not once has she accused you of doing something illegal, plus she posted these AFTER you flipped your lid. She asked if it is illegal because of diseases beforehand which is a perfectly reasonable question, I mean I wouldn't know that either, neither would many people. She never accused you of doing something illegal, just wanted to know the actual legalities of sending them over.

I am only giving advice on how to humanely cull them because they are snails. They are haemaphrodites. They will have bunch after bunch after bunch until they die, and you aren't going to be able to get rid of them if you keep up the sort of attitude you have.

Lastly, if you are the seller of these animals you should be ready to inform people about them, not have a go when someone asks a reasonable question.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

Pampered pets likes this.
  16. Pampered pets

ROFL oh some people lol

Ive had snails before i know how to keep them, i was asking about transporting them.

You can take animals out of this country but they ahve to be quarantined to come back in, i simply wanted to know if it was ok to ship them in as i take it the parcel woudlnt say snails on it, i was also thinking of the snails welfare being shipped so far excuse me for trying to show care and compassion.

If the package was marked as having live snails in it would they get stopped in customs?

I have never accused you of doing something illegal but sometimes people just dont whats legal and not, they dont break the law on purpose they simply didnt know it was wrong.

As akai chan said they constantly reproduce and the humane ethical way that snail keepers deal with this is to freeze the eggs, akai chan didnt mean to freeze the living baby snails she meant the eggs before they hatch.

sorry im going to pass on them, if i decided to get another id like to communicate with soemone a little more friendly, i hope for the snails sakes they find good homes :)

toodle pip....off to post on threads where people are decent :)

#16 Pampered pets, Aug 22, 2009
  17. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

Freezing the eggs is a part of keeping snails, its a must!!!

or soon enuogh she will be over run with babies

x

18. birdie86

so freezing the eggs. Thing that i told her to do, but she couldn't because these babies are born from only one snail and they hatched in 6 days so there was no time to do it. And i'll gonna do it to when i get babys. Is this called "euthaize" or better euthanaize them? sorry if i understood wrong then.

pampered pets I would rather take the 2 babies you were going to take instead of sending them to you after all this complaining and arguing. IT IS LEGAL TO SEND AROUND INSECTS IN ENGLAND and for your information there is a shop called the bristol inverts that sends them everywhere and they ARE NOT GONNA BE STOPPED AT CUSTOM. But do as you please. I'm overally tired of this discussion in which you 2 go on saying that the other one didn't mean like that or what. I have 60 babies to take care of. goodbye.

19. Pampered pets

20. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

And good riddance :rolleyes: So, anyone bring any beer?

Peace
    Akai-Chan

[EDIT] Also why do people constantly feel the need to pick on my spelling when they have no idea of the concept of spelling or grammar themselves? Jeez I spelt one word wrong. Boohoo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice