Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Accountants

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by Darrell Jones, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones PetForums Member

How many self employed Dog Walkers use Accountants? Is it possible and easy enough to keep your own accounts and file tax returns?

2. Waggle n Purrs

Waggle n Purrs PetForums Member

I do my own on line - really easy.

3. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

If you aren't planning on becoming VAT registered - it's easier and cheaper to do it yourself.

Online self assessment is far easier than filling in the old forms. All you really need is a day book or excel spreadsheet, keep decent records and Bob's your uncle.

I am an accountant and it really is overkill to pay someone to do something you can do yourself.

Lilylass and Waggle n Purrs like this.
  4. Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones PetForums Member

Thanks both. Do you find it easy enough to claim back some of the costs of petrol etc against tax when doing your own accounts?

5. Waggle n Purrs

I didn't earn enough to pay Tax in my first year so didn't bother with putting fuel costs - would be interested in how to claim if necessary though :)

Darrell Jones likes this.
  6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I used to put mileage through, I think HMRC rate is 40p per mile. It was offset against the income and treated as an expense. There is only a certain amount you can claim at that rate, can't rmember the details too long ago:D

Darrell Jones and Waggle n Purrs like this.
  7. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

45p for the first 10k. 25p thereafter.

This covers all vehicle expenses so you can't then also claim for an element of insurance etc.

It's the 'simplified expenses' way of claiming for travel costs. It's slightly complicated in that you can't claim this if you've used capital allowances for the vehicle, but if it's just your regular vehicle you already own it's the easiest way to claim.

Waggle n Purrs and Darrell Jones like this.
  8. Waggle n Purrs

Thanks for that info - will bear it in mind if I need it :)

9. Northampton Dog Walker

Northampton Dog Walker PetForums Junior

I've just started my dog walking business but I'll be doing my own accounts. Had my own travel business before and used an accountant for first two years before realising he was completely useless and gave me bad advice.

If you're sole trader as I suspect most of us are it's pretty easy to do accounts yourself and HMRC are very helpful. You just need to learn what can be claimed as a business expense, for example a portion of your broadband and maybe home office costs. I have one mobile number dedicated to the business only. The one decision you need to make early is which method to charge for vehicle costs. I'm going to keep it simple and charge flat rate 45p a mile and it's easy to zero the mileage counter every trip so you know what was business related.

Only other advice I'd give is get organised early, maybe use excel and record things. Try not to leave accounts to last minute, less stressful if you do them early.

Lilylass likes this.
  10. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Be a bit careful if you claim for anything on you home. You can become liable for capital gains on that proportion when you sell your house.

I absolutely agree with that last bit though.

11. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

As everyone has said, really easy to do yourself. It was made even simpler recently so now it's just clicking a load of yes/no boxes and inputting your income and expenditure.

A few tips though, spreadsheets are pretty much essential, if you don't have the software Open Office is free and will do everything you need.

Keep all your receipts, even the small ones. They'll add up to more than you think and better 29% of their value in your bank than HMRC's. As has been said above, record your mileage daily, it'll be your biggest expense and if you get tax inspected they'll want evidence it's correct.

The tax year ends April 5th. This gives you from April 6th to January 31st to file and pay your return. Don't leave it until the last minute! I usually do mine before the end of April, one less thing to worry about.

Most importantly don't forget the first year you pay tax under SA you pay next year's in advance as well. So if your liability is £4,000 you'll pay £6,000 by January 31st and £2,000 by July 31st.

12. Northampton Dog Walker

13. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

You can claim a percentage of the mortgage interest (or rent). As it's interest there is no capital gain. Obviously there is no capital gain on utility bills etc.

Seems a bit unfair if you don't have a mortgage.

14. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

What you're essentially saying is that you are converting a percentage of your home to a business premises by claiming anything against it.

Obviously if the amounts are insignificant it's unlikely to cause you a problem, particularly if you factor in any capital gains allowance.

15. Northampton Dog Walker

Yes I don't have a mortgage but will still claim a little of the cost of broadband and perhaps heating and lighting for the one room that I use as an office. Since you are outdoors most of the time dog walking I will keep the claim small but I don't think it's unreasonable when you update your website, do your own accounts and spend few hours on admin each week.

Gary

16. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

Same here, no mortgage so not much to claim. I don't bother with heating, lights etc as I don't have a dedicated office. I do claim a percentage for broadband though for website updates, emails etc.

Having been tax inspected (and vat) in the past it's best to be honest and keep it simple.

17. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

If you have a room as an office, not used for much else, then I believe you can offset an amount from your council tax

Darrell Jones and Lilylass like this.
  18. Quinton Ross

Quinton Ross PetForums Newbie

Looking for an accountant for my tax-free business....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice