Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Accidents through the night

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by faye0310, May 8, 2010.

1. faye0310

faye0310 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.
    I have a 17 wk old german shepherd puppy who i have had for almost 2 months, through the day he is very well house trained (most of the time) but when i get up in the morning there is so much mess!
    he is not allowed upstairs but he has the run of the kitchen and the passage, i have puppy pads down but he just shreads them before doing his business all over the floor!
    people have suggested a crate but i just dont have enough room for a one big enough for him without getting rid of furniture, and what people say about dogs not wanting to wee and poo near where they eat and sleep is not the case for him as his bed is in the kitchen and he poo's and wee's right next to it!
    We let him out just before we go to bed and he just sits and looks at me like im stupid before going back inside then a couple of hours later i can smell that he has gone to the toilet.
    i'm not sure if theres anything i can do but it just really starting to bother me i know he is only a puppy but it hasnt gotten any better since we got him (credit to him during the day he does let us know if he needs to go).
    Any advice welcome!
    Faye

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Start taking him out regularly through the night as well.
    Then gradually increase the time between toilet trips.
    Also do plenty of training and games about an hour before bed then have chill out time so he's tired out but not hyped up.
    I would also stay out as long as it takes for him to go on your last trip before bed - my Liily's record was 45 mins :lol: but she quickly learned that until she 'went' she had to stay in the garden with me ignoring her and the only way to get back in to her comfy bed was to 'go'.
    Can you put a baby gate or similar up to reduce the space he has?
    Also does he spend time during the day alone in their when he's napping? As he could be anxious being left alone.

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi Faye,its good he is doing well during the day,well done there!
    I would have another think about the crate training ,if you can find a way of fitting one in(you could take in down in the day if nesseccary),it really would help.If not ,can you find a smaller area for your dog to be in at night? I would also try and do away with the puppy pads because as hes clean during the day,theyre giving him mixed messages at night. Go back to letting him out in the night too,try get up at about 3am ish,let him out,try not to interact too much with him,them pop him back to bed til morning.
    Hang in there,it does get easier,i promise!

4. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

I crated my pup but I also got up Very regularly through the night to let her out - bingo no accidents :)

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

My pup never looked to pooh indoors. We had her last May during some lovely weather which helped toilet training. I had to take her out regularly for wee's but pooh's she never looked to do inside and always took herself out.
    She was crated during the night downstairs and in the morning there was always a mess. OH said that it was wrong because she could be asking to go and we dont know so I took her crate to the bedroom. The first night she started moving about so I took her out and that was the last time. Perhaps if he came up with you for a while (if he does get stressed and goes) that would sort it and then you could gradually bring him back downstairs if you wanted.
    Another thought was perhaps a short walk rather than just let him out before you go to bed. Often the exercise sorts it:thumbup:

Hope you manage to pick some bits from everyones suggestions that will help:D

6. faye0310

thanks everyone, he is not stressed out being on his own downstairs as we hardly ever hear a peep from him when we go up or in the mornings. and he also gets left in the same place when we go out and he naps there during the day when we are in so i think he likes his own space.
    I dont really want to start taking him upstairs as he has never been up there and it might just excite him more, also my cat spends time up there in the dog free zone.
    i didnt think about the puppy pads giving him mixed signals i was just thinking it was be less mess to clean up (not the case because of the shreading)!! i will try that tonight i think i will also try getting up once through the night to let him out (hopefully he will do something).
    how long does it take until he starts to hold it in until someone lets him out?

7. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

I tried puppy pads the first few nights but Trigger preferred sleeping on them and wouldn't dare do his business on them!

Our pup is 11 weeks and at the moment he is locked in his crate when he goes to bed but me or hubby get up at through the night with him which we have been gradually making longer and longer.

Crate training has honestly been the best tool in toilet training him and at the moment it is blocking off a cupboard but is well worth it for having no mess to clean up!

8. faye0310

Hi eveyone well i had some success last night!
    i made sure he went for a poo before i went to bed and i set my alarm for half 3 and got up to let me him out, he weed straight away then went straight back to sleep and when i got up this morning and let him out he had a poo!!!
    it was so nice to be able to get up and not have to mop the whole passage and kitchen.

9. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Thats brilliant, keep it up and he will get there x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice