Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Accidental mating (tie) between puppies….

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Genesis, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Genesis

Genesis PetForums Newbie

Good evening everyone, I hope everyone’s having a good day. I have concerns for my female puppy who is 7 months old that just got into head this week on Wednesday. Yesterday I was not supervising my dog while she was in the backyard with the two other puppy dogs who are 8 months old. At first, because I’m only 14 and don’t have much knowledge on puppy going into heat, I saw my two puppies (my female and male puppy) getting stuck together and getting unlocked. My mom told me that it is called a tie when both dogs mate, she then told me that she is going to be pregnant now. So now we are both stressed due to the fact that my female dog is only 7 months and is too young to have a litter of pups herself, when she is still a puppy herself. So we were calling our local vets about what happened but no one wants to do an emergency spay on her. So I don’t know what to do anymore, I was crying all night and all day today, feeling responsible that this happened to my puppy. But it’s not my fault when you have other 6 dogs in the house and no one to help you. This was an accidental mating and I am very concerned about whether she is going to be pregnant and how I can terminate her pregnancy because we don’t want unwanted puppies in our house and for the bad risks of my female dog carrying pups at a really young age. Please help!!!! I’m literally crying right now

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Keep calling around to find someone to do an emergency spay.
    Try shelters and rescues too, ask them which vets they use or if they can recommend a vet who can help you.
    You're absolutely right, an emergency spay is the best way to go. :)
    You may end up finding a low cost spay neuter clinic, and if so, please consider getting the rest of your dogs desexed also. With that many dogs and having trouble keeping them apart, it's going to be better for everyone, dogs and humans, for the dogs to all be desexed.

Sarah H, margy, DaisyBluebell and 5 others like this.
  3. Kaily

Kaily PetForums VIP

I believe there is an emergency injection that can be given which will prevent the pregnancy continuing. Thing is if she is around a lot of entire males it will happen again. It is very difficult to stop them once their instincts kick in and they will go to great lengths to get to each other.

margy, Genesis, DaisyBluebell and 2 others like this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

There is indeed an injection that should stop pregnancy - Alizin. It can be used up to 45 days from mating, but the sooner, the better.
    But as she's living with entire dogs, mating may well happen again, or the dogs could fight over her and injure each other.

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

The best thing would be to get the mismate injection and then put her in kennels for the duration of her heat.

Genesis, DaisyBluebell and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Look into the mismate jab for her, as everyone else says. This will stop the pregnancy.

Is your mum willing to get this done for the pup?

Please don’t beat yourself up over this. At your age six dogs is too much responsibility to be handling on your own, and under these circumstances mistakes will happen; you need backup.

PS. NO IDEA WHERE THE UNICORN CAME FROM. If a mod could remove it plse….

7. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum. :)

Please don't be so hard on yourself. These things happen, and at 14, it's not really up to you to be watching the dogs - it's up to your parents. You sound very knowledgeable and responsible for someone so young and whilst it's so upsetting for you, it makes a refreshing change to us as a forum to read about someone trying to do the right thing for their bitch. This is to be commended, and honestly? You and your mom put a lot of others to shame. ;)

I also thought of the mismate injection first and foremost, but with such young dogs and so many other dogs in the house, I agree with @O2.0 - some vet somewhere will understand the potential implications and will do an emergency spay.

Please keep us informed. :)

Was this message posted on an iPhone or iPad by any chance? If so, you've probably caught the unicorn sticker under the smilies button. I did exactly the same yesterday. :D

Removed. :)

Genesis, simplysardonic and Lucy2020 like this.
  8. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Heads up that the mismate injection will bring her back into season, I believe.
    So if you go that route, you (your parents) would have to take immediate steps to prevent the same thing happening again. A spay is probably going to be easier for everyone all round

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice