Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Accidental Mating Advise

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Dide3, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Dide3

Dide3 PetForums Newbie

*Advice

I have two miniature schnauzers. I was due to put my bitch to a stud dog on her next season (December). Unfortunately at the weekend we had an medical issue with my son who is disabled and my male mini got out and tied with my female.
    She has had three seasons previous and had no issues keeping them separate and were going to have her spayed after she had her litter.
    The reason I did not want to use my boy was the fact he’s not KC Reg ironically due to the fact he was an accidental fifth litter. He is 5th generation pedigree, health screened etc. As is my female mini.
    I understand I am going to get criticism for this. I feel so frustrated with myself already.
    My question is what is people’s thoughts of the ‘morning after pill’ for dogs. My vet says it can cause problems with my female such as pyrometra or fertility issues or it just not work.
    I’m just trying to weigh up the pros and cons as I don’t want to cause my dog any health issues.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Nothing in life is risk free.

I certainly would use the mismate injection.

Surely your boy hasn't had all the health tests when he's not KC registered.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

It's up to you at the end of the day. The fact that they aren't going to be eligible for KC registration will obviously reflect on the price you'll be able to sell them for. You also don't mention whether either your bitch or your dog have had health tests as relevant to their breed, which again may put buyers off.

If you terminate this litter then she may have trouble if you still intend to breed her, so those plans may well be scrapped and she would be better off being spayed.

Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  4. Dide3

Dide3 PetForums Newbie

5. Dide3

Dide3 PetForums Newbie

Yes he has all the relevant health checks. Although he was an accidental litter the breeder (experienced) did exactly the same as with a planned one. The same as I would with these pups.
    A puppy is not required to have the relevant health checks to be KC Reg. Although I don’t agree with that and as I pointed I would do that whether KC Reg or not.

#5 Dide3, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  6. Dide3

Dide3 PetForums Newbie

I did state they had all the relevant health checks but it’s probably got a bit lost in the post.

7. lullabydream

Health tests are far different from health checks.

Then you also have to have to take account of the health of the pedigree too

Lurcherlad and Acidic Angel like this.
  8. Dide3

Dide3 PetForums Newbie

Do you mean the health tests by the BVA for hereditary eye conditions in schnauzers? As they are both up to date with those.

9. lullabydream

Yes...not sure what other tests are needed best look on the kennel club website

10. Rachel hill33rayhill

Rachel hill33rayhill PetForums Newbie

Well I'm not a breeder or anything but I personally feel like the price you will get from the puppies is not a valid reason to base your decision on. I would not be able to cause my dog a miscarriage but this is coming from an emotional perspective not a professional one with experience or an understanding for all the details. Wouldn't something that causes a miscarriage be more dangerous then it's worth. I'm actually trying to prevent being in the same situation right now. But if the same happened I'm not even qualified to handle a pregnancy. Good luck though

11. evel-lin

evel-lin PetForums VIP

Actually much like with humans continuing the pregnancy is riskier to the bitch than terminating it earlier

leashedForLife likes this.
  12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Is there some special reason why you got your unregistered dog PRA tested. It would not be usual to do this unless planning on breeding.

What was the reason for breeding. Do you particularly want pups with the stud dog you have chosen for the next season. Unless you had a compelling reason to want that dog or have people wanting pups from the litter I would be tempted to wait and see if she is pregnant and let it continue and then either spay her or wait a year and have a planned litter. Mini schnauzers are very popular and most people are not too bothered about kc reg. though they should cost less if not registered. The other alternative is to abort this litter, assume there might well be problems with her conceiving on the next season so spay her to stop the risk of another unwanted pregnancy. If by any chance she has an accidental mating again next season plus the planned mating you are back to square one as you would have no idea of the sire so could not register the pups.

13. leashedForLife

Statistically, a mismate jab is much, much safer than a pregnancy, even a perfectly normal, healthy, well-nourished pregnancy, in a very fit bitch, who is intentionally bred.

I would go with the mismate jab - this wasn't a planned mating. There are no deposits by buyers with reserved pups; no one is disappointed, no contracts are signed.

@Rachel hill33rayhill -
    If U could not possibly face the prospect of a mismate jab, I would suggest spaying Ur female promptly. Accidents can & do happen - a F in a silent season can be mounted & tie in seconds, it takes no time at all. :(
    Aside from accidental matings, breast cancer is 4X as common in F dogs as it is in F humans, & is very likely to be fatal on diagnosis [in the U-S, 68% of F dogs Dx'ed with mammary tumors are euthed at the same appt as they're Dx'ed, b/c on x-ray, they have metastases in the lungs, & no treatment is possible. This is not due to negligence on the part of owners - symptoms often do not show until the cancer has metastasized.].
    Spaying a F dog before her 1st estrus eliminates over 99% of the risk of breast cancer.

Pyometra is also an ever-present danger to intact Fs. A closed Pyo is a silent but urgent vet emergency; an open Pyo is also potentially fatal, but at least U have visible discharge, IF U are quick-enuf to see it before the dog licks it away.

OHE eliminates the risk of Pyo, accidental matings & unplanned litters, & greatly reduces the risk of mammary tumors, all in the same op.
    - terry

Northpup and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. Rachel hill33rayhill

Really! Wow I'm trying everything I can to keep my male and a female I recently found separate because I'm no breeder and so scared of her getting pregnant because all I know is I don't know enough to handle that.

15. Rachel hill33rayhill

Wow thank you very much for this info. This fe
    Wow thank you very much for this info. The female is not technically mine I found her about 10 days ago and haven't able to find her family. We've tried everything and don't want to leave her in the shelter. We have fallen in love with her and are willing to just keep her. However if her family turned up I'd obviously have to give her back and I don't know how they would feel about her being fixed. That's why we made the appointment for my male first.(when I got him I nievely thought breeding was a hobby and that I'd somehow be qualified,thank God I researched it and realized how wreckless the idea was but that's why he isn't fixed yet) anyway hearing about all of the other risks to not spaying I will be making her appointment today. Is it illegal or anything to spay a female you find? Nothing about her says showdog or prime breeding material. Even though we think she's just perfect. But I should go ahead and get her spayed as well I think any advice?

16. leashedForLife

@Rachel hill33rayhill -
    the F that U found is not chipped? -- did a vet check her for a microchip?

I am also presuming she had no collar, of course. :D // Is she currently in heat?
    If she's not in heat & the M dog is just trying it on, I would still separate them! - she can learn to hate M dogs from one hypersexed pain-in-the-rump who won't take no for an answer. :(

U need 2 layers of separation between them, to provide an airlock in case of escapes - 2 closed doors with a room between, or the F crated in a closed room, & the M in another room, or something similar. // Bear in mind that estrous Fs are just as determined to get to M dogs as the Ms are to get to estrous Fs. They don't know "why", they are acting on instinct, but instinct is powerful.

If she **is** currently in heat, U need to wait to spay her, unless it's an emergency - spays during estrus are riskier, the F will bleed more.
    If she has a Pyo or other life-threatening complication, then spay must over-ride the concern about estrus.

- terry

17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Are you in this Country? The UK?

If you are, then you have to give her owners time to find her and that is 28 days.

What attempts have you made to find her owners?

18. leashedForLife

QUOTE, Rafa:

Are you in... the UK?
    If you are, then you [must] give her owners time to find her and that is 28 days.

I just went looking for UK law on lost dogs, & "28 days" appears nowhere, that i found. :confused:

I did find this, QUOTE,

"Finding and losing dogs:

If you find a dog without an owner, i-e, a stray dog, it is your duty to return the dog to its owner or report it to the local authority. It is against the law to not do this if you intend to keep the dog, as it may otherwise be considered theft.
    If no owner is found, then you may be permitted to keep the dog, but there is the possibility that the original owner could still claim it back.

If it is you who have lost your pet dog, then you should immediately inform the local authority, & keep in contact with them. The council may give the dog to someone else if a week has passed and you have not attempted to get [her or him] back - however, legal ownership does not transfer to the new owner, & you may still be able to claim your dog, if you come forward at a later date.

Dog identification and tracking
    In most circumstances, it is required by law that your dog wear a collar, with your name and address somewhere on it. Failure to do this means that you are breaking the law as well as making it far harder for you to retrieve the dog, if it goes missing. The highest penalty for not complying with this legal requirement is £2,000.
    The law also requires all dogs to be microchipped by the time they are eight weeks old. This can be done by a vet, animal charity or local authority, and may be offered as a free service. You could be fined up to £500 if your dog is found not to be microchipped, & you do not remedy this within 21 days.

You can also have your dog tattooed for identification purposes - the National Dog Tattoo Register website has more information on this."

source:
    https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/legal-help/dog-ownership-laws

So, presuming the dog was at large with no owner's name & address, plus she's not chipped, the owner broke 2 separate laws, both carrying hefty fines.
    I think rather than pay a grand or more in fines, an owner who hasn't been diligent in her care will cry into a few tissues, & let her go.

Phoning the local authority & asking if any small dogs have been reported lost or missing, is another good check.

@Rachel hill33rayhill has a new thread addressing the issue of ownership, & I suggested s/he post an ad for an undescribed small dog, forcing the owner to describe the dog they lost, so that unscrupulous people cannot claim a dog whose photo they saw on a "Found" poster. :Shifty . Not, of course, that anyone in the UK would ever do that! :rolleyes:

- terry

#18 leashedForLife, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  19. lullabydream

20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I do hope this person is not in the uk. Are we to assume the bitch is in season. So some poor owner has had their in season bitch sneak out of the house and the OP has in effect stolen it and is now going to get it spayed.

Torin., SpicyBulldog and Rafa like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice