Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Accidental litters

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Jan 3, 2008.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Pups that are not registered,Accidental litters,Parents not tested etc....
    Is there any excuse?
    I believe not,to me it's basic ownership.If you own an entire dog & bitch you need to be responsible & keep them apart,if you can't do that get one of them neutered.

Accidental litters,I believe alot of BYB's use this excuse when it simply was not an accident,but a money making excerise.
    Not testing,again it cuts into the profit of BYB's,so they don't bother.

Your thoughts & views?

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Humans make mistakes, its all part of being human. Can anyone on this forum honestly say they have never made an error of judgement in their whole lives, sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you face the consequences. I know in this case the mistake effects others, but so do most other mistakes.

3. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

There are no excuses - for having 2 pets entire and having an accident - why are they not speyed/neutered???
    I could go on and on but I think by now you all know how passionate I feel about this subject and already know my reasonings....

4. jan-c

jan-c Guest

Well no matter how much we go on and on about accidental litters, health testing, cross breeding etc, etc I think we all know that there are some that do not want to be educated and no matter what is said they will continue to do their own thing and as long as people continue to buy pups from them they will continue to breed. More and more buyers are starting to get the message now and asking questions and seeking reputable breeders of their chosen breed. It would also be a good thing if all the internet sites that carry puppy adds were to list the hereditary defects and illnesses of each breed with the warning that buying a pup from non-health tested parents could cost them more than the original price they pay for a pup! This should be the first thing they see when they click on their chosen breed.
    Educating buyers will go a long way to ensuring that these people do not continue to line their pockets at the expence of the welfare of their dogs and the puppies they produce. If they cannot sell them they will not breed them!

1 person likes this.
  5. Magik

Magik Guest

there is always an excuse... anything can happen... what if your bitch escaped? it can always happen!! nothing is impossible even when great care is taken!!

6. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

you can't have them speyed or neutered if they're show dogs. and yes there's not any excuses for accidental litters but you cant always make sure that either a dog or the bitch doesn't escape intothe same room etc.

7. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I know for a fact mine will never get out,we take precautions,when the door goes we always make sure the one in between is shut etc,we take no chances with them out in the garden neither,we stand by the door & watch them.

Both bitches & dogs CAN still be shown even when neutered.

8. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I always thought a dog had to be entire to show, well you learn something new every day, do castrated males ever do any good ?

9. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Not sure to be honest I know of a few that have been shown & placed though.

10. Magik

Magik Guest

my dog escaped once following a break in... you can never be 100%!

11. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Mine are crated,both at night & when we are out so they would have to deliberatly let them out.

12. Magik

Magik Guest

I hear you have Jan-C locked up in a crate too?

13. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Nooooo in the broom cupboard :D:D

14. Magik

Magik Guest

I knew it!!!

15. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

She shouldn't be able to escape. Unless she is being used for breeding she should be spayed anyway...

16. Brainless

Brainless Guest

If you have seen my first posts on this forum then you will know I very very strongly agree.

If an accident occurs then something can be done about it (injections or spaying).

If a litter arrives unexpectedly because the mating was not known about, then serious consideration should be given whether it should be reared in it's entirety, it may be more responsible to have all but two pups humanely Put to sleep (horrid thought but shouldn't' really get that far if the bitch were properly supervised or spayed, jabbed or spayed after mating).

Rearing the whole litter should only be undertaken if the breeder is prepared to take lifelong responsibility for the pups by identifying them by chip or tattoo to ensure they do not help swell the already bursting rescue centres, most often after their cuteness wears off.

Vetting potential new owners is an acquired skill. I don't think it is any coincidence that I had to help re-home pups from my earliest litters, but more rarely from more recent ones.

17. Brainless

Brainless Guest

I had my first bitch give me the slip when I opened the door to the postman. I didn't realise that bitches were as keen to be mated as any male would be to get to them.

When I got her back she went to the Vet for a jab. In those days it was the one that started their season again and carried a high risk of Pyometra, but I still did it.

I was glad I did. Turns out that one of her sisters was Epileptic.

It was only found out after the litter my bitch came from was born that a litter brother of the Mum was Epileptic, the owner never let the breeder know, and it was only on a change of ownership of the dog that the new owner let them know of his condition, so it was a spot of shutting the stable door after the horse had bolted.

When I was told I had her spayed.

When I decided that I wanted to breed from my current breed I made the decision to only keep bitches on the premises as avoiding accidents in a multi occupied household would be difficult.

18. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Actually you do not need permission to show neutered dogs or bitches, just inform them.

The rules when I first started showing in 1989 were that neutered dogs could be shown as long as they had registered progeny (there was no requirement to inform the Kennel club).

Otherwise a letter from the Vet giving health reason for neutering was required.

I cannot remember exactly when they changed it, (the rule is printed under the preparation of dogs for exhibiting etc rules in every show schedule) but the current rules came into force around the early 1990's.

It goes:
    3. No act or operation which alters the natural conformation of a dog or any part thereof may be
    performed except:
    (a) Operations certified to the satisfaction of the General Committee.
    (b) The removal of dew claws of any breed.
    (c) Operations to prevent breeding provided that such operations are notified to the Kennel Club
    before neutered dogs are shown.
    Nor must anything be done calculated in the opinion of the General Committee to deceive.

The bold and underlining are mine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice