Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Accidental Litters

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by RAINYBOW, Jun 1, 2010.

1. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I don't really get involved in the breeding section, i have no knowledge to add therefore keep my nose out BUT i do like to read some of the threads to improve my knowledge and understanding.

I just want to say that whilst i agree with supporting people who have found themselves with an "accidental" litter on their hands i really don't think we should be having a go at people who express an issue with an accidental mating of an 8 month old bitch living with an entire male that could potentially be fraught with danger to the Bitch and result in a large litter of puppies that are maybe not on the "most wanted" list at the moment.

For people who really understand breeding the above scenario is just madness, this bitch is still a baby and i don't think they should be made to feel bad for expressing that. It's not about "being perfect" it's about understanding the consequences of this mating whether that is the possibility of birthing complications or the future these puppies may face sadly due to the prejudices surrounding their mix of breeds.

Given the amount of traffic this forum gets it is essential for people who know what they are talking about to express concern and disappointment at this situation because if all people see are good luck messages and support what sort of green light does that give.

I am sure the OP can take the comments on the chin to get the help and advice that will and has been offered.

This thread is not about having a go at that OP so please don't think it is, it is more about saying people must be allowed to voice their opinion. We do not live in a fluffy world and i think a healthy dose of reality is what is required sometimes to make people realise the possible enormity of the task ahead.

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

completely agree. whilst I don't think that scaring away someone who is going through an accidental litter is going to help the bitch or the future pups, they need to know the consequences of their actions and it also teaches others on the forum about what happens when you keep an entire bitch and an entire male in the same house.

Everyone should be able to express their opinion, but no-one should be overly rude or personal to anyone else, like saying someone is stupid for doing what they do. These opinions are just not called for, but opinions that state facts about the dogs and what has happened is fine.

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:thumbup: Excellent post Rainy. Said exactly what I wanted to...but with more tack and politeness and I'll bet you don't get called a b*tch too!! :lol: I find all oh well it's happened now a very odd attitude, then again those people don't handle the 'accidents' everyday so it's not really effecting their lives directly making it easy to sit on the fence and be 'supportive'.

RAINYBOW likes this.
  4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I agree totally,
    I do feel we should all be careful how we express ourselves so not to turn someone away who is in need of help and support - but the full facts need to be posted so others reading the forum can learn.

RAINYBOW likes this.
  5. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Totally agree :thumbup:

6. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Understanding has to work both ways, or should.:(

colliemerles likes this.
  7. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Totally agree :). Great post - people have to understand the consequences of their actions and if they really are there for the benefit of their dogs, they'll stay depsite some people being pretty straight with them x

8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Exactly if they really care about the dogs they'll understand why emotions run very high and expect a certain level of critisium (sp!!). Why post on a public forum if you don't expect to get every reaction going? Leaving these posts open and running gives other people a chance to read and if one single person thinks 'jeez I better be more careful' and an 'accident' is prevented then fab.

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Completely agree.

To be honest, I'd like to see such threads locked, and if experienced breeders feel they can help and want to offer, then contact can be made via pm.

I get fed up of seeing people come and post randomly about their bitch they mated to the dog down the road, because they thought the dog had a nice smile, etc, etc, and those sort of threads only encourage bad feeling between regular forum members.

A set of stickies at the top of the section with all the advice should be enough for people, perhaps including one entitled something like 'what to do if your bitch has been caught out'.

10. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Its not about "understanding" its about voicing an opinion and that might be a harsh opinion but i think the person should be able to voice it just the same as people are entitled to offer support and coo at the possibility of some puppy pics. It's about balance :)

Totally :thumbup: thats what i am saying :)

11. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Totally agree :thumbup::D

12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Completely agree! There seems to be a few of these posts here recently & whilst help should be given it can't be expected that people not voice their opinions regarding unplanned breeding when it is such an emotive issue.

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I agree but it's not the comments I'm against.

It's the ones that are aimed at the OP as a person I don't like :nonod:

Either way good job to those who give great advice in the breeding section x

14. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I agree with you as well - I'm not contradicting myself, honestly.
    Yes people need to be able to voice their opinions, especially as it's an open forum and as JSR says if by people reading the posts just one accidental litter is stopped it's been worth it.
    I do feel it's really important to get all the info out there, especially from those experienced in rescue and breeding.
    It needs to be done in an understanding way - no ones going to listen if we all just 'shout' we need to demonstrate an understanding and teach people how to be responible dog owners and in the mean time make sure the bitch and pups get every bit of help they need and advise to stop it happening again - not just for the OP but for anyone reading the forum.

15. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

As much as I'd love to pretend that I can be supportive and offer advise to these people I don't lie and I don't do hypocracy (sp) so while I totally agree with everyone's points and of course diplomacy will always win over anger I won't ever stop showing my disbelief, disgust and anger at people who allow situations to happen when they could easy be avoided. Most of the time I don't even read this section because it makes me so angry. Anyone that come's on this site even for 5 minutes can pick up advise and be educated so I'm afraid excuses don't wash it's not like people here are not aware of the situation regarding unwanted dogs in this country.

Fleur likes this.
  16. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

So true!! :)

17. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I'm all for educating people and letting them know the best and worst ways of doing things.Its how its done on this forum that i don't like or agree with.
    This thread in itself imo is bang out of order because it refers to the 8 month old pup that is thought to be having pups.Now should the owner read this thread what good will it do? Going by some of the replies on that thread i can honestly say if someone spoke to me like they have the other person i'd be telling them to f right off.

the melster likes this.
  18. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I have clearly stated i am not having a go at the OP. She has posted and i believe is receiving advice and support on her own thread Janice but on that thread there was alot of condemnation of members voicing their opinion and concerns regards the litter and that is what this thread is about.

Thought you were the one who was all for Freedom of speech and living in the real world not the fluffy one Janice but what you are actually saying is that people who have a massive issue with these litters should either shut their gobs or be hypocrites and coo over the puppies and i think thats unfair.

19. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

And that's absolutely your right to do Janice, as is everyone elses right to comment on a thread that has been published on a public forum. If someone doesn't like what is written they can respond, ignore or retreat. It's not like they want things kept private otherwise why post on a open forum?

20. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

You didn't need to say whether or not you were having a go about the other person, its obvious.A nd yes i am for fredom of speech but i can have that freedom of speech and show compastion and respect at the same time.
    Now if people want to start a sticky about the downfalls of breeding then thats fine by me.But i will not and do not agree with using someone elses misfortune.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice