Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Accidental incest

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dinah Scott, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Dinah Scott

Dinah Scott PetForums Newbie

My friend will not profit from this and her pockets will not be lined. She is a good person but a mistake was made. She is finding good homes with people she trusts - one of which is another friend. I was hoping for some reassurance that the pups wouldn't necessarily suffer due to the situation, but I can see that most information from here seems to be that it is inevitable. Thank you for comments and will check whether parents have been tested since pups born, to get an idea of the gravity of the problems.

2. Dinah Scott

Dinah Scott PetForums Newbie

My friend is not a back street breeder and is not looking to line her pockets. I wonder why some people leap to this conclusion. The pups being rehomed to people who have ben fully informed of the situation and are willing to give the pups a loving and understanding home. I originally joined this group to get some support and advice - I am sad that assumptions have been made about the kind of person my friend is. I would say again - we all make mistakes. Best just concentrate of how to deal with them as best we all can.

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Because we see it here, all the time. Thread after thread after thread.

The Wild Bunch and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Quite a shift in tone between the two consecutive posts
    and
    Did something happen in the two-and-a-bit weeks between your posts?

Torin., Dog-dogs and SusieRainbow like this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

There are only tests for a tiny minority of problems that could occur from such close inbreeding.

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Your friend has an unspayed bitch from whom she has already bred.

She keeps a dog puppy from this litter and doesn't have either him or Mum neutered.

She then leaves them together when the bitch is in season, with the inevitable result.

There are now a litter of inbred mongrel puppies.

It's hardly conscientious breeding. She seems to have made a lot of 'mistakes'.

Given that she has already bred at least one litter prior to this latest one, she must have known very well her bitch was in season, yet allowed this mating to happen and, yes, it was her fault.

I'm sorry, but I'm struggling to believe this was an accident at all.

Torin., blakesmum, O2.0 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

The fact the pups are already here renders any future possible issues irrelevant to me.

The pups exist and need looking after (or euthanising).

If the former, then it’s really just “hope for the best” at this late stage.

I don’t see any point in speculating what might go wrong - nobody knows.

Hopefully, the pups will be ok and the “breeder” gets all of her animals neutered ASAP and any new owners of the pups do the same, before there are any more “accidents”!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice