Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Accidental incest

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dinah Scott, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Dinah Scott

Dinah Scott PetForums Newbie

Is incest in first generation likely to cause serious problems? Cleary it's not the best thing to have happened. Puppy is the product of accidental mating between mother and son. Has anyone had a dog similar - someone has shown real concern about very likely problems the pup is likely to have which is really concerning.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The potential problem here is that if Mother has hereditary/genetic health problems, she could very likely have passed them to her Son.

Therefore, a mating between these two could result in puppies being at twice the risk.

What breed is this and would it be fair to assume neither of the Parents have been health tested?

Torin., Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Dinah Scott

4. Dinah Scott

The mother is a Bichon Frise and always well looked after and no obvious health problems I think. Father is her son - all check and vaccinations done and well looked after- he is the result of the Bichon Frise mating with a cockapoo. So - it's maybe likely that there will be no problems?. Surely Vet - knowing the details of the mother and the father (her son) would advise if there was likelihood of any genetic problems when pups were checked at 4(?) weeks.

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

No. I'm afraid you're wrong.

I'm not talking about dogs who appear to be healthy, (and likely are), I'm talking about hereditary conditions which can be and are passed on to puppies.

Every breed of dog has conditions they can be affected by. Health testing before breeding will establish which dogs are affected and which are carriers. Without these tests, you have no way of knowing whether your bitch or/and her son are affected.

If your bitch is, then likely, her son is and with such a mating, your pups are at high risk.

A mating between Mother and son is wrong on every level. You need to take responsibility and have this ill fated pregnancy terminated.

There is no valid reason to allow it to continue.

#5 Rafa, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    wee man, Calvine, Sarah H and 6 others like this.
  6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

All the above and if both dogs are yours and living in the same house you need to get them both neutered so it doesn't happen again.

lorilu likes this.
  7. Dog-dogs

Dog-dogs PetForums Member

Are you looking to buy one of these puppies, or are they your dogs?

If you are looking to buy a puppy, walk away. And if they are your dogs speak with your vet - how far gone is the pregnancy, and as @Rafa said "There is no valid reason to allow it to continue".

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Puppy exists already doesnt it?

Reads that they were vet checked at 4 weeks, but the vet mentioned nothing about genetic issues.

9. Dog-dogs

Dog-dogs PetForums Member

On rereading the posts yes I think you're correct; this is from the first post: "Puppy is the product of accidental mating between mother and son."

10. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I read that as it being the first litter - the one that produced the son who has now mated with her and the puppy that is the result of accidental mating is the unborn one(s). I hope so anyway.

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is not really called incest in animals. They know no different, it is not a sin in their eyes! As others have said it is every unwise and the pregnancy should have been terminated. If the pups are already born then you will have to wait and see. It is not an infrequent accident and does not need to cause a problem. Really important that they both get neutered as soon as possible and that every pup is neutered too and new owners are made aware. It happens sometimes with other species. A precocious colt will sometimes get its mother in foal before they are separated and he is gelded. Bulls sometimes serve 5 or 6 month calves that are still on their mothers. No farmer would breed from the progeny though and most people try and separate the cows with heifer calves before there is any risk of it happening. There are still accidents though.

As the owner it is your responsibility and if you have let the pregnancy continue and got pups you now have to make sure it can never happen again and that those pups can never be bred from.

Rafa and SusieRainbow like this.
  12. Dinah Scott

Well I am truly worried now. i almost wish I hadn't asked, but appreciate all the information. The friend did not know the mum was pregnant. Only discovered when the groomer clipped her after a long delay of being clipped due to lock down. Pups were born 10 days later. Another friend has been looking for a rescue dog for 2 years - and then these puppies arrived - she is of course very excited and now I am really worried about it after all you have said.

13. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The very fact that the owner didn't realise her bitch was pregnant is very worrying.

Safe to assume then that the bitch wasn't correctly wormed during her pregnancy, so the likelihood is the pups were born with a worm burden.

Have the pups been wormed, have they been weaned?

Frankly, I would run a mile.

14. Dinah Scott

15. Dinah Scott

Okay, Will pass info. on - but these puppies cant go without homes. That's the other thing to think about, surely?

16. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Not really.

The owner of this bitch must have known she was in season, yet she left her alone with an entire dog.

Of course she was going to become pregnant.

Backyard breeders operate in different ways. Some are 'accidental' matings. Anyone who buys these poor pups is perpetuating the cycle.

If nobody bought the pups, there would be no cause to produce them.

Those who buy the pups continue the cycle of breeding for money.

It really is your choice, but, do be aware that you could be paying for a pup that could cost you a lot in Vets' bills. Do be sure to take out insurance.

Lurcherlad, Sarah H and lorilu like this.
  17. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

And @Dinah Scott, above and beyond the money, you'll suffer when your pup suffers.

JoanneF likes this.
  18. Dinah Scott

I do understand that - and I know this conversation could go on for a long time. I appreciate the advice about insurance and health peoblems. The friend who let this happen, did make a mistake clearly - but we've all made mistakes and I've made mistakes in my life that I am sahmed of and had really negative consequences that I will regret forever. However, what's done is done and I wanting to help prepare my other friend for possible problems. My other friend and her family are not back street breeders and are trying to find good homes for the litter where they will be loved and looked after well. I think my point still stands - these puppies have been born and need good homes? If they have a life ahead where they will suffer, someone needs to look after them well through that and do the best they can for them. I'm not sure if there are any vets on this forum? Out of interest, is it common then, for puppies to be put down if they are born, in this situation?

19. Dinah Scott

Just had another thought - if the parents had all the tests done now, that may determine what kind of problems there might be in the future for the pups?

20. Pricivius

Pricivius PetForums Junior

If interbreeding happens, the mismate injection should be used. Some vets may be prepared to do a gravid spay. If the pups are born then as above, test the parents to see what lies in store, and/or test the pups for what you can test. Then the pups should be given away free of charge to homes who are fully aware of what they may be taking on, or given to a rescue who can find such homes. Just my view... no one should profit from this and no one should line the pockets of someone who lets this happen.

Amanda Mower and Leanne77 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice