Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Accident?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by catgeoffrey, Oct 29, 2012.

1. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

We got our BSH on Saturday, Ruxpin! he's beautiful! Geoffrey is watching him very closely and there is the occasional hiss or batting of each other but not anywhere near as much aggression as I expected.

Unfortunately little monkey, after deciding the safe room was boring, found his way in to our room where Geoffrey sleeps on the end of the bed. He then got "caught short" and weed on the end of the bed which we put down to an accident. We were half asleep so didn't spot him squatting in time!

We sprayed the affected area with the litter tray cleaner and put a towel over it as it was 5am :eek: and took him back down to his litter tray but he just jumped out of it.

Half an hour later he came back upstairs and was about to poo on the bed until we spotted him, grabbed him and took him to the tray very quickly!

Until this incident he has used his tray without any problem at all! We've put him back in the safe room with his food and litter tray now and shut the door. I think we will go back a few steps on the access to the whole house side of things until he is more acquainted with his litter tray location to avoid future incidents!

I'd have put one down to an accident but two...? Or was it because the smell was there from his wee? I've now put the bedding in on a hot wash...?!

2. dukey

dukey PetForums Senior

Duke goes to the toilet on my bed regularly. He too did both in his first few days which I put down to stress but I have now learned that he does have urinary problems. However your little man has only been with you a few days so I imagine he is just a little stressed and maybe a bit jealous he can't sleep in with you yet. Therefore he may be trying to mark his territory.

I would keep an eye on him, make sure has plenty to drink and keep all the trays you have spotless and see how he gets on. If he starts to cry when going I would call the vets just to be on the safe side.

Good luck :)

3. catgeoffrey

Thanks for the reply.

He didn't cry when "going" at all. I hope he's just got disorientated. He's now in the safe room, had his breakfast and is now having a snooze. :D

Fingers crossed this was a one off! :blink:

4. JamesJoseph

JamesJoseph PetForums Newbie

Thanks Dukey ...that would be the best suggestion ..Cheers!

5. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Bugs did this a LOT when he was a baby and it is not pleasant to wake up covered in poo all over your leg!! Apparently the soft duvet sensation tends to trigger their need to eleminate their bladder and bowels!

I got around the problem by, firstly nearly chocking myself to death by spraying citronella all over my bed, having a litter tray in my bedroom, and once I was ready to turn my light out and settle down to sleep would pop Bugs into a crate with a nice blanket in for the night to sleep, I would then let him out the second I woke in the morning and put him straight into the litter tray for him to relieve himself.

HTH xxx

6. sarahhenderson

sarahhenderson PetForums Newbie

whenever he goes on your bed and has an accident, you need to remove ALL of the affected bedding straight away and wash it in NON BIO washing powder or liquid to remove the scent for the cats - if you don't do this, he will still be able to smell his scent and will use that spot over and over. you should also check the mattress - we use mattress toppers just incase because one of our cats had a similar problem.

It might be worth just placing him in his litter tray first thing on a morning, after every meal and before you go to bed in order to get him into abit of a routine

hope this helps
    sarah x

7. catgeoffrey

Thanks for your reply. He did it once but not since. He now sleeps on the bed without older cat Geoffrey and is fine. We have put an extra tray upstairs so he is ok! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice