Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Accident at Cattery

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by shamykebab, Jan 2, 2012.

1. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Not happy. Been away for a few weeks and had left the cats at the cattery we always use. Picked them up this evening and noticed when Jazz was eating his dinner that he'd managed to get his foot through his Bioflow collar. I tried unbuckling it but he was clearly unhappy so I had to cut it off.

To my horror I realised that the collar must have been stuck that way for quite a while. It's dug into his skin pretty badly under his armpit, but the worst area is his chest where the buckle must have been. A large area of his chest has been skinned and part of the area is an open, bleeding wound.

I've cleaned it up with diluted salt water and he's currently got a buster collar on until he sees the vet tomorrow. My question is, would you hold the cattery responsible? The collar's black and so is he, so perhaps it just wasn't seen?

I'll try and upload some photos of the wound.

2. catlove844

catlove844 PetForums Senior

thats aWFUL, :( that means tht they never picked up your cat, played with him or took any notice of him to see it?? ID take pictures and write to them, that is awful, poor boy :( xx

3. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Yes i would, when you see the vet tomorrow explain what has happened and ask if what vet says can be used in insurance claim for vet bills against cattery, i had a problem yrs ago with kennels my dogs had been sick while in kennels and i was not told,had to rush them to vets as soon as i picked them up, vet said he thought they had been like it for a few days, i claimed vets bill from kennels insurance and also "read them the riot act" !!!!! hope your cat recovers ok xx

4. catlove844

catlove844 PetForums Senior

yes sorry should have thought of that, go to the vet to!

5. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Yes, they are responsible, they should have seen it.
    And they are liable for all vet cost.

I know that kind of wound, my Tosca had one like that, but she had been missing for 2 weeks and had been locked in somewhere, when she got her paw stuck through the collar. I rushed her to the vet the moment she got home.

If there is a wound in the armpit, don't wait for it to heal naturally, for it won't. After 3 months of misery, when the wound had hardly gotten any smaller, Tosca had a skin transplant, and then it healed within a week.

#5 Jiskefet, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Most definitely I would hold the cattery responsible.Cats should be checked every day ,not just a token glance to make sure they still have 4 legs.If they checked him,even from a distance I would have thought it would have been obvious that all was not as it should be.Ask your vet for a written report of injury and costs ,contact the cattery and ask for an explanation and payment of all costs.

7. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

i don't know anything about UK law in this regard, but I just wanted to say that I would be outraged if I were you. And your poor kitty. I hope the vet can fix it right up---it sounds so painful for him, so I hope it isn't troubling him too much.

8. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

Aw poor little thing :( I would absolutely hold the cattery responsible and claim any vet fees back! Hope he's better real soon :)

#8 Oscars mam, Jan 2, 2012
  9. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Finally figured out how to upload photos from my phone!

The pics aren't great since he kept moving away from the camera, but it gives you a general idea of the wound on his chest. Couldn't get a good photo of his armpit or the back of his neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will see what the vet says tomorrow morning. Poor little man, he's not happy with the buster collar on.

10. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

Aw what a terrible thing to happen to your kitty :( Not nice coming back to that after a nice break having trusted them with looking after your cat. I would definitely hold them responsible for all vet fees and would ask for a partial refund as well under threat of some very bad PR! That's just me though, I tend to give it to businesses with both barrels when they don't do what I've paid them to do :mad:

Hope your kitty has a speedy recovery though :)

11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Bl**dy hell how long were they in the cattery for.That looks really sore.I cant believe with an injury like that ,he wasnt showing at least some discomfort.That is shocking.Poor chap.

12. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

Oh goodness, that's really bad. I really don't see how they could not have noticed something was wrong. They really must have just thrown his food at him, changed his litter tray and water, and never really looked at him at all. They should also, besides paying the vet fees, refund the cost of the stay as well. Even if it's not the law, that would just be decent of them. You paid for a service and obviously didn't get it.

13. bluebindy123

bluebindy123 PetForums Junior

Get well soon Jazz, its just made me cry.xx

14. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

omg that looks so sore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

i would be soooooooooooo angry if that were Leo and demand for the vet fee's back from the cattery and never take them to the catery again. also remeber to tell them when you go in the you will never use the cattery again and say that you will never reccomend it to anyone- that should put them back in their place!

i cant beleive a cattery wouldn't check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frown2: this means no going to cattery's for Leo!
    and i agree completly with dagny- GET YOUR MONEY BACK for the WHOLE stay! i agree they definantly should!
    do you think that reporting them to the rspca would do anything?

#14 Ingrid25, Jan 2, 2012
  15. paul maine coon

paul maine coon PetForums Senior

Oh my god! Heads would roll , hope he gets better soon

16. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

They were there for 19 days :(. We've used that cattery for the last 10 years but I guess it was impossible to tell if they were looking after the cats properly until this happened. I'll definitely not be using them again.

He's a very stoic little cat, been suffering with arthritic hips for the last 4 years but is still more active than my other cat. He just seemed happy to be home when I got him back - he only showed pain when I tried to take the collar off.

His left hind paw was also encrusted with old faeces and sawdust - when I tried to wash it off large clumps of fur came away with it :(.

17. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

Aw that is terrible poor little baby :( let us know what the vet says!

18. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

That is such a disgrace and shows complete neglect - definitely go the whole hog and demand they take responsibility for vet fees, a refund for the whole stay and threaten to contact your local papers with the story and ruin their reputation if they don't. I work in PR and am more than happy to help you with the newspaper bit!

Things like this make my blood boil :mad5::mad5::mad5::cursing:

19. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sadly ,its not until something like this happens,which IMO should have been noticed,that you realise that the care given is perhaps not all it could be.We trust these people with our pets and we pay a fair price for what we hope is good care/treatment .I would be blazing bl**dy wild if that happened to my cat.I hope he heals soon.

20. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Poor kitty :( Hope he feels better soon?

I would talk to the owner of the cattery, as that would definitely not be acceptable to me. I would also name-and-shame, so protect future cats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice