UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
They aren't an easy pet to keep and you need to know what you are doing with them having done all the research beforehand. Acacia rats are fairly new to the pet market (only introduced in 2000) so there are not many people who keep them as pets. They are also pets that, as far as I can find out from people who have kept them, are really only active at twilight and in many cases are pets that prefer to be watched and not handled which isn't good for you if you want pets that can be picked up and cuddled whenever you feel like it. There is information on these sites:
Acacia Rats Overview - Crittery Exotics

Acacia Mania

http://exotickeepersforum.co.uk/upload/Acacia_Rat.pdf

Given that they are an exotic rodent as well, it would probably mean that most vets would have limited (if any) knowledge on them so you might need to find an exotic vet and you will also need to join an exotic petkeepers forum as well in order to assist in all the research you would need to do before even considering them as a pet. They also aren't related to rats or mice (totally different genus and species) hence the reason that they don't look like them - they look "similar" because they are filling a similar niche in a different environment. In terms of environment they need a very tall cage/tank with topper to provide lots of climbing opportunities as in the wild they are (from what I gather) a tree dwelling rodent that needs the opportunities to climb and play at height in order to be happy.

G

·
Well I was, but I'm not sure now, as what zany_toon has described, doesn't really match what we have in the college. I'll have to ask someone when I'm there properly, it could be that they were in an old cage with a label on it that someone forgot about. Whatever they were, they were really cute!
Surely vaccinating your rabbits should be a bigger priority than thinking of getting more animals?

I know you say you "was" thinking of them, but still :confused:

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
i think you need to to prioritise the needs of your current pets rather then "think" about getting more.

if you dont really know what they are then you wont really miss out on not having them ;)
that and your not allowed any more pets and couldnt afford to buy a new cage when you needed to

G

·
The reason the rabbits aren't vaccinated is because I have had a hard time up to the last few weeks, as I lost my job. As money was tight, (and the rabbits were not outside at all at this point), I restricted it to food, bedding, and emergencies only in case I had a real problem I needed funds for. However, I am starting to slowly get myself out of that awful patch, and as soon as our vets have the 2 in1 at the practice, they will be booked in. As to these rats or whatever they are, I haven't decided, but I'm starting to think they might of been some kind of dormouse as they had a very dormousey-ish face, very rounded with big black eyes.
Doesn't matter if they are inside or out, there is still a risk of both illnesses. There have been several rabbits this year die of myxo both vaccinated and unvaccinated. Several of those have been house rabbits so no bun is safe, but having them vaccinated gives them that chance to fight the illness.

Sorry you lost your job and hit hard times but your present animals should come first, and thinking of "new" animals to get should be the last thing on your mind.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
so if you dont have a job still is it really a good idea to be thinking about getting more pets? with the arguements you have had with your parents over new pets is it really a wise idea?

regardless of if the rabbits are inside or outside they need vaccinations, and your rabbits were outdoors at the time, i recall their being a big thing about you COULDNT bring them inside
also a cage to separate did fit under the "emergency" heading....

if you did some research on acacia rats, you would know that they fit that description

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
myxi vaccination is every 6 months, unless you go for the new combined vaccine which is once a year but if your rabbits hvent ben done before you need a 2nd top up vaccination 2 weeks later

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Thanks zany_toon. Maybe that's not what these were then, because they were deffinately awake during the day whilst I'm there, and they had them kept in glass tanks (like hamsters) and homemade rabbit type cages.
What they are kept in means nothing, you can't use that to determine what type of animal is being kept :confused: That would be like saying you've seen hamsters in [email protected] but because they are being kept in glass tanks only a foot or so in size with others and you've been told by [email protected] staff that they can be kept in a mini duna that they can't possible be syrians :rolleyes: Or like saying that you know some one who keeps an animal that is exactly like a rat but it is on it's own and in a glass tank which means it can't possibly be a rat. All that means is that the people looking after them don't give a mouse's ar$e about them to ensure that they get the exact environment that they need (and that includes universities - the one I went two kept hamsters in a tiny glass tank!!!) And I'm guessing that like most rodents acacia rats will come out at some point during the day. The only way you will know if it was acacia rats you saw or not would be to google a picture to see what they look like, :confused:

I'm starting to think they might of been some kind of dormouse as they had a very dormousey-ish face, very rounded with big black eyes.
Try googlin acacia rats using the correct spelling, the description you listed is exactly what they look like.

If you are finding it difficult just now Wobbles, looking at a new pet should be the last thing on your mind. I'm at risk of losing my job as well and all the money i can save is being put aside to ensure that everything my mice, hamster and cat needs can be bought for however long I'm out of work for. There are mice in rescue just now that I would love to give a home to but the animals I have come first. Concentrate on the animals you have and make sure that your rabbits get their vaccinations - the last thing you want is to find that they fall ill and need hundreds of pounds of treatment to save them because you haven't arranged it already.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
You just moved your rabbits from a shed to OUTSIDE in WINTER?

Is that correct?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.