Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Abused dog.Urgent advice please!!

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by debtherat, Jul 6, 2009.

1. debtherat

debtherat PetForums Member

Hope I'm in the right section! Please, please if you can help get in touch.
    I volunteer dog walk at a dogs home in West wales. It is not a charitable rescue, but takes in unwanted dogs as an alternative to them being p.t.s. and relies on volunteers to walk the dogs- the two staff who work there do not have time to do a lot of work with the dogs.
    Charley is a 6-7 years old lab/boxer, and God only knows what has happened to him before turning up at the home. He is terrified and mistrustful, and shies away to hide every time a visitor walks by, although he seems easier around women and children. With my dog sat outside his kennel he will take food from my fingers as I feed them both provided I am sitting and do not attempt to make eye contact. He responds to 'Charley come' for a treat and I think that he will eventually come without my dog being there as he will do this for one other female volunteer who has the patience to sit with him. The staff have been unable to gain his trust.
    Charley has shelter and he has food but he desperately needs someone to try to rehabilitate him. I have no idea if there are any organisations locally who may be able to provide the help that Charley needs. Charley may in fact be beyond help as he is so deeply traumatised - I don't know. What I do know is that whoever did this to Charley does not deserve to be called human.
    If anyone has any advice, or can point me in the direction of help for Charley please let me know. Many thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice