Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Absolutley gutted

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by hubballi, Jun 4, 2010.

1. hubballi

hubballi PetForums Member

As you may have read in my earlier thread we have a male tabby who we took in last year as a stray. Lovely cat but sprays round the house. We took him to the vet and they informed us he has been castrated. Great, still a sprayer so what do we do ?

I got the felaway spray as advised here and it did work until the bottle ran out ( a measly few sprays in a very small bottle) and at over £10 per go it isn't cheap for me. In fact I can't keep buying it so now he has sprayed in old places again and I just give up. It's so depressing. We have tried everything. The old ginger Tom we have had for years is no threat to him and they seem to get on and play together.

Again, one person on this forum said that our vet is "crap" if she advised that a castrated cat can still spray. Well the vet was right.

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Goodness - I have no idea who said that, but it certainly wouldn't have been me! I had a male cat who was neutered at a year old and sprayed his whole life until he died of old age at 16!

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Just read through the previous thread regarding your cat. I know it's frustrating, my cat suffered only a mild bout of cystitis recently but even when this cleared up she continued to wee in a plant pot/over the wall as she had started to associate her litter tray with pain.
    Has your cat been to the vets for a throrough check up to rule out any urinary infection?
    Is he using the litter tray normally other times?
    Does he appear to be going alot more than usual?
    Crying when using it?
    Have you noticed if there is any unusual discolouration in his wee that could be a trace of blood?
    Did you try using the biological washing powder paste to clean the area? If the cat can still smell where he has been spraying then he will be more inclined to use the area.
    Is there anything he appears to be targetting when spraying? With my cat is was the plant so we removed it which although I really didn't want to has done the trick. If it's the curtains - could you try tying them up for a while?
    Also you could try getting some citrus oil/spray that you could use in the specific areas as cats don't tlike the smell.
    How many litter trays do you have? Could you buy a couple more & put them around the house?

4. hubballi

Litter trays. Only one and they hardly use it as they go outside.

No problems regarding infection.

Cleaned metal coal container and log basket with biological power but how practical is that on soft furnishings, painted walls, electrical s etc ?

5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Soft furnishings especially will hold a smell which could be encouraging him to keep going back.
    I would also get another couple of litter trays just to see if you can at least encourage him to use them for the short term rather than spray.
    Try a few cotton balls and use an eye dropper to wet them with either cinnamon, citronella, lemon, lemon grass, lavender, orange and rosemary oils. Tuck the cotton balls into the places where he is spraying or rub the oils with a paper towel onto the walls, etc or round near the soft furnishings.
    Unfortunately i think this isn't going to be a quick fix & will be a casee of trail & error.
    How is he generally within himself?

6. hubballi

No room for litter trays and no need. can only just fit the one we have.
    Spraying is marking scent not having to urinate.

Will try oils as they are far cheaper than Felaway. Not going to put them on wall as they will stain.

He is a fine healthy cat.

7. Tje

Tje Banned

I think it was The Twins who advised in your other post to limit him to one room while he is still spraying , and clean thoroughly with a biological cleaning agent the places he sprays, and to transfer his scent onto a cloth then pat that around the places he sprays?

Have you done all of these things? (they’re all excellent advice).

Have you had him checked for urinary tract infections?

And an extra litter tray… I know it might not be convenient having to step over an extra litter tray continually, but it could just be a temporary measure. It is of course up to you, the inconvenience of an extra litter tray versus the inconvenience of a cat spraying. Why have you decided that there’s no need for a second litter tray? Nothing is guaranteed with cats, but extra litter trays do often help. I had a male foster cat when I lived in a small 2 bedroom flat and he sprayed and I had 3 litter trays in one room for him (in the beginning). The cat used to spray on the walls, then he took to spraying on the high sided walls of his 3 trays. It was probably just his way of marking the boundaries of his territory. Litter trays don't necessarily have to be for urinating in, they can be for spraying too. :)

I think Cleo above was recommending oils to repel the cat from spraying on the spot where the oils have been sprayed, I am quiet sure they won’t replace or replicate the calming effect that Feliway produces.

I don’t know who said what about castrated cats not spraying…. A castrated cat is less likely to spray than one who is entire. However, the later a cat is neutered, the higher the chance he will continue to spray. But even a male cat neutered at 4 months old could still spray (just a lot less likely). Stress is a very common reason for spraying and it sounds to me like it's stress with your cat (the fact feliway worked?), but I wouldn’t rule UTI’s out either.

It will take a lot of work, patience and trial and error to fix this if it's stress. Personally, if it was my cat, I would want UTI's ruled out first. Best of luck.

8. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

You said you tried Feliway spray

I suggest you try Feliway plugin - it will cost about £21 on the net and acts like an air freshener. it will last a month then you can be refills that also last a month

Also try Cat Attract litter - this is expensive but works. You can eventually mix it in with your usual litter. I am not sure if this advice will do anything to alleviate the spraying though.

9. hubballi

No, just empty my wallet.:eek:

10. Tje

Tje Banned

Hey Hubballi, just wondering, as I asked above, did you take any of the advice that The Twins gave you on that other post you made??

11. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

I'm just wondering, when the cat sprays, what do you do? If you shout or chase him away, this is stressing him. He also might be picking up on the fact this is obviously stressing you out to the max, and making him more highly strung because he can feel you are tense whenever he is around in case he is going to do it. So you might need to change your attitude towards him?

I had a male neutered as a kitten cat who didn't spray, but just urinated on lots and lots of things over the years, especially soft furnishings. He then started licking all his fur out. He was extremely stressed out and we even considered putting him on anti-anxiety medication and used feliway, (unfortunately he died from something unrelated). Throughout this he continued to eat, purr, play and be otherwise generally happy, its often easy to assume that because they do not become withdrawn that they aren't stressed.

You do need to eliminate all the smells, even if its going to put you out.
    Tescos sell bio washing in a liquid bottle for something like £1, I always have it in the house and its easier than trying to attempt to use granules of washing powder. I do dilute it as I wouldn't want it to stain things more. I even have washed floors using it when the kitten used to have accidents.

I wouldn't be letting him have free reign of the house, in fact I don't let my kitten have access to all of the rooms even though its a pain with closing doors, we have got used to it.

Tje likes this.
  12. Tje

Tje Banned

agree with every word you said LillyLove :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice