Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

abscesses in dogs mouth area

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by thatsafunnylookingcat, Oct 9, 2013.

1. thatsafunnylookingcat

thatsafunnylookingcat PetForums Senior

Hi, I usually only post in the cat section but my dog has had a few problems and I could do with some advice please.

My dog has always had "dodgy" teeth, they have never been quite right and despite best efforts to save them she had to have quite a few removed. She is a 10ish year old collie cross who I have owned from a pup.

After her operation to have the problem teeth removed she seemed alright but since then we have had more problems. She has now had several courses of antibiotics and I'm getting worried it could be more serious than just dental related abscesses.
    Around 8 months after having the teeth removed she overnight developed an abscess under her tongue. This was very worrying as the day before she had been fine, playful, normal but a bit off her food (she has always been a picky eater so it wasn't unusual for her not to finish her dinner). The next morning her tongue was hanging out of her mouth and she couldn't pull it in, she couldn't drink anything at all either. We rushed her to the vet and he felt her throat as the lump was underneath her tongue so couldn't be seen inside her mouth. He gave pain relief, antibiotic injection and anti-inflammatory injection and a course of tablets to start the following day at home. It cleared up well by the time we went back.

Now though she has developed another lump, this time on the side of her muzzle at the top and again is on antibiotics after an initial injection. The vet has said that she will need another surgery to remove that tooth if it doesn't go down with the medication.

Is there any underlying factor that could cause these infections?

I'm feeling really worried as a family member had their dog PTS this year when similar problems turned out to be cancerous :(

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Any teeth she has remaining, especially if they are badly worn, have fractures or damage to them then its possible for bacteria to get down below the gum line and into the foundations and root of the tooth and cause a tooth root abcess to form.

Often you can get rid of the infection and the abcess with a course of antibiotics and it will be OK for a time, but as long as that tooth is still damaged and the bacteria can get down into the foundations again then there is the potential for it to reform again. Often the only way to stop it is to remove the tooth and stop the possibility of it reforming again, on that tooth anyway.

I obviously cant say that there isn't a possibility that there may be something sinister going on, but as you have said she has always had dodgy teeth and considering her age too and overall tooth problems, then there is a good possibility that's why you keep getting problems.

If she has got any form of gum disease like gingivitis or periodontal disease that weakens the structures and ligaments of the tooth as well then that would likely cause deep bacterial infection and things like abcesses too to keep popping up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice