Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ABS Farce!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sleeping_Lion, May 23, 2010.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Just been reading on another forum, where a member of the ABS has registered the SEVENTH litter from a bitch.

There are a few people quite rightly outraged, and I think one or two may be phoning the KC. This is exactly the sort of thing that makes the scheme worthless to the members, so I'll be watching with interest to see what, if any, action is taken. I am not a member of the ABS because I feel until it can be policed properly, it's not worth joining until the puppy farmers and byb's are ousted.

2. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

The trouble with ABS is that many people will see the word accredited and assume breeders belonging to such a group are good, responsible breeders. Some are but many are not.

I know of a wolfhound breeder who is ABS and as far as I'm concerned is nothing more than a BYB. Her ethics are awful and her lack of breed knowledge is appalling. But because she is a member of ABS and tells everyone that she is experienced, people believe her. :mad2:

3. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

The trouble is u dont have to reach any set strandard on abs scheme...just have the recomended tests.
    The Kc really needs a kick up the behind, this sceme needs proper regulations and complience by those who use it.
    Make id/tatoo compulsary and always tracable back to breeder.
    Health tests compulsary and acceptable leval set and stuck to (any breed not reaching acceptable level not bred from).

4. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

The ABS is a farce.

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Apparently, the owner had to register one litter twice, because the bitch had been caught by two dogs, hence the seven allowable litters :mad::mad::mad:

This same *breeder* also registered three litters of the same breed in one quarter, it just goes to show, you ALWAYS need to do your homework, the puppy buying public should never take anything for granted, unfortunately so many do, and will, as already said, take it for granted that a KC Accreditation scheme = responsible/ethical breeding.

6. hawksport

hawksport Banned

A good sales gimmick though

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Why I don't trust the ABS and why a lot of good breeders are refusing to be any part of it

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

True, but there isn't any other scheme to be part of. It's just a shame that it can't be policed effectively, or that you have to fulfill some sort of *apprenticeship* before being awarded a membership. Puppy buying Joe Public want easy lists to just go and buy a pup from, they don't want to have to ask loads of questions and feel awkward about telling a breeder they're not sure if they want a pup from them because surely, six litters out of the same bitch is too much, isn't it??

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Six litters out of a bitch is far too many

10. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

The ABS is like everything else in the world, there are always gonna be people who take the pi$$ out of it sadly, 6 litters is a joke tho :(

I would become a member as there isnt anything to belong to and i know i would stick to the rules as well as breed club rules, you have to let your conscience be your guide :)

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Lol, I know six litters is too many, I was just giving an example of the sort of approach someone who wasn't that sure, looking for a pup, would feel uncomfortable asking the question and may not be sure of their facts. I've heard about it before, people not feeling they can ask to see original health test paperwork, and then finding out the supposed results were just made up. being fobbed off that the pups are fine to take home at six weeks of age, etc, etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice