Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Abortion - should it be illegal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by goodvic2, Nov 27, 2012.

?

Should abortion be made illegal?

1. Yes it should its wrong

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. No it shouldn't, a woman has a right to choose

139 vote(s)
    95.2%
  3. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Should abortion be made illegal? Or does a woman have the right to choose what she wants to do with her body?

2. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

No I don't think it should be illegal but it shouldn't be used as a form of birth control! Although I think after week 20 it should be as a foetus is viable

1 person likes this.
  3. kathateria

kathateria PetForums Member

a friend of mine was sterilised.
    11 weeks later,she found out she was pregnant.
    She had to go to hospital,who could of easily just given her the tablet at the early stages.
    Instead,they made her wait have a scan,go to another hospital,and left her, for 12 weeks.
    they were trying to make her change her mind,by showing her the baby.
    The girl was sterilised,its clear she didnt want to keep it:confused:
    They could of saved the NHS alot of money,by ending the pregnancy with a simple tablet.She went at 6 weeks.
    Instead,she had to have a proper abortion,at 13 weeks.

She got compensation,after 3 years.
    They took the tubes out,in another op,and had photographic evidence,of how they put the clips on,during the sterilisation.Or rather how they DIDNT put the clips on.

4. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I was just about to type this:thumbup: reply. I know of a friend of a friend who has had countless abortions, she wants to get pregnant because shes in a "relationship", that relationship breaks up and the baby is no longer needed so she aborts it. However the baby would probably be better off than having her as a mum anyway:(.

5. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

im on the fence with this one... if there's medical evidence that its a danger to both mother and child then im for it but if its just because they don't want a baby im not for it ... if the case was from rape then that's a different matter all together

accidents happen and i just couldn't kill a baby like that

6. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Same as this!

7. JAChihuahua

JAChihuahua PetForums VIP

I'm pro choice, but with reservations.

Personally I think social abortions (I dont want a baby/its not the right time/not another!) should have a 15 week limit.

parapet time too, I also believe that someone who has had 3 social abortions within say a 5yr period, should have a contraceptive implant fitted as a compulsory measure.

However I support the little known fact that medical abortions (mum/baby sick and at risk) can be carried out right up until the due date.

8. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Its a tough one and this is a very emotive subject.

Whilst I personally would struggle to make this decision, I am very pro choice.

I agree with the 24 week limit. Not everyone is able to look after a disabled child (which is why we have the 24 week limit as most are shown at the 20w scan, and you dont always get the scan at 20w).

I dont agree with people using it as contraception, but we can't just go implanting people we think shouldnt be getting pregnant - maybe after a certain number you have to pay towards it?

I must admit, being 8 months pregnant its hard to imagine someone getting rid of a baby, but surely its better to not have a baby than have a baby that isnt wanted and therefore probably not going to get the best care?

9. JAChihuahua

JAChihuahua PetForums VIP

Not exactly the case.

The 24 week limit is actually for social abortions.

An abortion for medical reasons (such as severe disability/mums health/babies health/non-compatible with life etc etc) can be carried out at ANY time in pregnancy, right up until due date.

Congratulations on your impending bubba though!!! Not long to go now :D

10. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

I realise this but most social abortions will take place at this limit due to disability. You arent going to find out your child is disabled and then wait another few months before doing something. And to get one after 24 weeks is very hard (well its meant to be).

I do also realise that some babies born at 24w can survive, but have MANY problems so I do think until it can survive, without issue, outside your body, i have no issue with a womans choice. Probably wouldnt be my choice, but i would try not to judge.

11. CharleyRogan

There are thousand of people waiting for children who cannot have their own. Maybe a scheme should be set up to help those who are pregnant find adoptive parents for their child if they seriously don't want their baby

12. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Wouldn't work, there's already 1000 of children in care

You shouldn't be forced to carry a child you don't want to feel them
    Kick, to have the pain and crappyness pregnancy can bring

13. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I don't think it should be made illegal.Lets face it, when it was women found someone to "perform" abortions.
    I do think the time at which it should be done needs to be reduced drastically though.

14. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Are you saying you believe in no sex before you're ready for/can afford a baby?

What about condoms splitting etc?

I don't believe in using abortions for contraception, but accidents happen.

15. CharleyRogan

If you really feel you don't want a baby accident shouldn't happen though, there are so many forms of contraception that can work in unison that the chances or pregnancy is extremely low!

16. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Is this the 1950's?

myshkin likes this.
  17. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

For all those trotting out 'abortion as a contraceptive' do you have any stats to back that up or is all anecdotal?

18. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

no i already said accidents happened but if they do and the only reason is UNWANTED ... i dont agree with abortion as i could never do it

19. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

It should not be used as a form of birth control. A housemate when I was at Uni was going for her fifth abortion. I did think that was pretty disgusting.

20. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I used to be very pro-life when I was younger, but I have completely changed my stance as I've become older & better informed. Abortions will carry on even if they are made illegal, & I dread to think of the consequences of that:(

The Daily Mail has had articles about contraceptive abortions in the past, so I'm sure their stats are very *ahem* 'accurate' ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice