Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Abnormal lump on cheek?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Maddie Finn, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Maddie Finn

Maddie Finn PetForums Newbie

A couple days ago my cat came in with a lump on his cheek (hes an outdoor cat and stayed out for the night this was the first we'd seen the lump). It was quite large about the size of half a ping pong ball and quite soft. We havent taken him to the vets as he's had no side effects of it. We know its nothing to do with the mouth or throat as he can eat perfectly and he isnt coughing/dribbling. I've researched and heard it could be a lipoma although it has been going down a little bit. Any suggestions on what it could be? It's not liquid filled, feels more like fatty tissue.

Attached Files:

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Regardless of if it doesn't seem to be causing a problem I'd have booked a vet appointment by now if he was my cat.

Etienne and buffie like this.
  3. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

It can be an abscess and that would have to be opened, washed and treated with antibiotics.
    The vet is definitely the right address for this.

4. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Ouch, looks like it could be an abcess to me.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

To be fair you don't know its nothing to do with his mouth or throat ,infact you actually don't know what it is at all.
    He needs a professional opinion and should be taken to a vet asap.

gskinner123 likes this.
  6. Maddie Finn

Vet will be booked next week. He has all the 'symptoms' of a lipoma. He will see if it is cancerous or if it is an abscess and can be drained. Thanks.

7. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Next week is rather late. If it is an abscess in can break meanwhile and cause a very bad infection. Not all abscesses open to the outside, some leak inside and poison the cat.

OrientalSlave, chillminx and buffie like this.
  8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As @ChaosCat says this really isn't something that should wait .
    Is there a reason why you are waiting nearly a week to have him seen?

9. OrientalSlave

Please stop diagnosis by Google and let the vet decide what it is. And now you are inflating your 'diagnosis' to cancer!!!

I would have been ringing my vet for an appointment when it first came up. Whatever it is, it's clearly abnormal.

Betty6691 likes this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Maddie Finn - I agree with the others, the lump could very possibly be an abscess due to a cat bite from a fight. Abscesses are caused by puncture wounds and grow under the skin, not visible on the surface except for a small red mark which heals over within a day or two trapping the bacteria inside. An abscess can feel quite firm to the touch, not squashy,

What makes you feel it is a lipoma? Lipomas are soft, and relatively slow-growing. Although they can develop anywhere, they are most commonly found on the cat's chest or abdomen. You would have noticed a lipoma growing, it would not appear overnight. You'd have seen it or felt it gradually getting bigger over a period of weeks.

An abscess comes up within a few days of the cat being bitten and needs attending to by the vet immediately. Certainly tomorrow.

11. Maddie Finn

I'm trying my absolute best to get an appointment but theres such limited spots. I'm trying to get one for Friday but I honestly dont know if I can.

12. Maddie Finn

I thought a bite or scratch may show a tear in the skin or loss of fur in one spot but this has nothing. I'm trying to get a vet appointment but I dont know how so soon.

13. Maddie Finn

I cannot get an appointment so soon. I'm ringing the vet tommorow morning hopefully they can get it that day.

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Maddie, it is an emergency, the vet really has to try and fit your cat in as soon as possible. Do not let them put you off. They will try and put you off if you told the vet you think it is a lipoma because a lipoma is not an emergency. But if you tell them it's probably an abscess they should see him straight away.

Cat bites are puncture wounds and do not show as a tear in the skin or a loss of fur usually. Cat bite wounds are very hard to see when they happen but after a few days the trapped bacteria cause a swelling under the skin, which keeps getting bigger and usually feels hard. Untreated abscesses can cause illness.

lullabydream likes this.
  15. Maddie Finn

Were ringing for one now again. I'm trying so hard believe me I am.

chillminx likes this.
  16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If you can't get seen tonight, phone first thing in the morning as soon as the vet is open. Then they can fit your boy in somewhere during the day. Vets always keep a few appointments available every day for emergencies.

lullabydream likes this.
  17. Maddie Finn

That's what were doing hopefully they will take him

chillminx and lullabydream like this.
  18. OrientalSlave

Send them a photo

19. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Him being out all night and then coming home with this swelling certainly suggests an abcess, probably caused by a scratch or bite from another cat. Abcesses can be especially dangerous on the face, I have a friend who lost a cat that way as the poison is so close to the brain and the cat died 2 days later. Please don't wait.

chillminx and lullabydream like this.
  20. Maddie Finn

We have an emergency appointment for today at 10:30

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice