UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a 15 month torti female and she developed a lump on the right side of her face. I was pretty big, about squash ball size. I took her to the vet and he operated on her, drained cleaned the the lump which he diagnosed as a Abcess from fighting with other cats. She is on Baytril antibiotics but 3 days after surgery it swelled up again. I took her back to the vet and he lanced and drained it. It again swelled up. I took her cone off today to clean it and she scratched the abcess which ruptured. All the infectious liquid drained out of a small hole in the skin. I cleaned the wound and the cone ( which I put back on her) with Savlon but its weeping now and the liquid gets rubbed on the inside of the cone as she moves and I am afraid of re-infection. I have been cleaning it every 2 hrs. She is still on antibiotics. Has anyone else experienced somethign similar? Should I go to another vet for a second opinion? Because it keeps on coming back. How can I stop the weeping?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hiya,

I don't think Savlon is good to use on your kitty. It has something in it that's not good for cats (can't recall what it is at the moment...). But you can clean the site with salt water (cup of boiled cooled water that has had a teaspoon of salt dissolved in it).

That infection sounds really nasty. Poor kitty, and poor you - you must be worried.

It may be that another antibiotic needs to be tried if this one doesn't work. And you may also like to have read of another current thread on this forum about Manuka honey....

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/272131-manuka-honey.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Elizabeth, I am definitely going to try the salt water. I have been reading a few other posts about cleaning wounds and most people suggest this.

I am very worried, this totally stresses me out. Will post on her progress

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Yes, you can get a longer term antibiotic in injection form in SA. Perhaps vet should have put a drain in the opening. You can use salt water to clean the wound. I was advised to ensure that the wound isn't allowed to close up too soon and trap the pus inside. The vet gave me a needleless syringe and hibitane 10% solution to flush the wound twice daily. I was to remove the scab and drain and flush the abscess until clear.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Yes, you can get a longer term antibiotic in injection form in SA. Perhaps vet should have put a drain in the opening. You can use salt water to clean the wound. I was advised to ensure that the wound isn't allowed to close up too soon and trap the pus inside. The vet gave me a needleless syringe and hibitane 10% solution to flush the wound twice daily. I was to remove the scab and drain and flush the abscess until clear.
Yes it is important to allow the abcess to weep and not close too soon as this will only allow the bacteria to build up and possibly enter the blood stream which will be more serious.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all

Thks for the advice, the salt water worked like a charm and the abcess is now non reactive. She should also have her stiches out soon. I have noticed readness in her ears though for which I have posted a separate thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.