Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Abandoned Kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mdosi, Jun 1, 2018.

1. mdosi

mdosi PetForums Newbie

Just today I discovered 4 kittens in my backyard.One of them was dead while the others were scattered around.They are newborn,must be 2-3 days old and I've been hearing their cry for the past 2 days,only a couple of times a day.Since this is birth season and there are many pregnant/mom cats around I didnt think they were in our house but after searching where the sound came from,I found them.After a vet visit and buying the appropriate milk for them,I've tried to feed them with a syringe but they are rejecting it.We take care of another car who bore kittens a month ago but she refuses to take them in and doenst pay attention to them at all.I dont think they can survive if they dont eat but sadly I cant convince them to do so no matter how hard I try.I checked the cctv and found a cat wandering in our garden after taking them to the vet but I cant tell if she's the mother.We have now left them with the other mom.What should we do?

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

What country are you in?

mdosi likes this.
  3. mdosi

mdosi PetForums Newbie

Greece

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Not many of us live there. In the UK contacting a rescue would be the best course of action, can you do that in Greece?

mdosi likes this.
  5. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums VIP

Well done for trying to help them. I am not so sure what to advise but I hope they thrive with the other mum and with your care

mdosi likes this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

You need to contact a rescue. I know rescues aren't great in Greece, but worth a try. You might also want to get some proper feeding things in like a Miracle Nipple. Some also find using a dense sponge like a makeup sponge works well. You need to act quickly, or the kittens will deteriorate fast. Well done for trying to help them

mdosi likes this.
  7. Rufus15

I strongly advise joining an international breeding group on Facebook, as they will be able to give you better advice.

mdosi likes this.
  8. mdosi

mdosi PetForums Newbie

Thing is,there are many stray cats here and the shelters are full with them so I dont think I could do that.Also it's mostly private organization,our country doesnt provide for the animals at all.

9. mdosi

mdosi PetForums Newbie

I hope so as well and thank you.I cant turn my back on them but I feel really useless as I'm not the best one to provide for them :(

Whompingwillow likes this.
  10. mdosi

mdosi PetForums Newbie

The make up sponge advice seems useful,will try to do it and see how it works.My dad attempted to feed them and he got them to drink a bit,4-5 ml each I think.It's an improvement for sure

11. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums VIP

Its so nice you do that, where my mum is from and somewhere I lived for a year, there were MANY street cats - I know Greece is the same. Cats arent treated the same there as they are here in the Uk, for the very most part. It’s so good you are trying to care for them, I would feel the same but you are doing your best and I know you will do everything you can to care for them right. Its good to here you and your dad got them to drink a bit :D thats excellent news. maybe you will manage to find someone who is experienced to help?

Emmasian likes this.
  12. Rufus15

Make sure that they are fed prone - that is on their stomachs - so that milk goes into their stomachs and not their lungs

13. mdosi

mdosi PetForums Newbie

It's been a year and I want to thank you all for your responses.I thought I'd give you some insight on what happened.2 of the kitties unfortunately died a few days afterwards but one of them made it!She's an adult cat now and we've been doing great.

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Well done for managing to save her! Thank you for updating us. :)

p.s. I hope she is neutered, so there are no more unwanted kittens. ;)

15. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

So pleased to hear your good news! Can we see a pic of her? please! x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice