Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Abandoned kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Rescue and Adoption' started by NinaB, Jul 12, 2017.

1. NinaB

NinaB PetForums Junior

I'm so upset on Sunday my daughter and I were out walking the dogs in a rural area and someone told us about some kittens not far away. We took the dogs home, picked up a bag and some cat food and went to look. We found two little kittens, one larger one and a smaller one, we put down some food in a little bowl and hey soon came out of hiding and scoffed at the food, they looked like they'd been abandoned. As soon as they came out I tried to grab the smaller one, it hissed scratched and bit me, I tried to get it in a bag but it got away. The bigger one went into hiding. Why oh why I did this I could kick myself, I know I should've let them gain our confidence and trust first and taken my time. As it was getting dark we left them and came back early the following morning, the bigger kitten was still there but the smaller one was nowhere in sight. We managed to get the bigger one it came to us and played, we were able to pick it up and take it easily. It's haunting me what happened to the little one, there were no houses in the immediate area, only fields and hedgerows and a footpath, so I doubt anyone has picked it up it was very timid. I've been back numerous times, scoured the field, played cat sounds under hedgerows, left food out, but it hadn't been touched two days later. Do you think it could've died from shock? I wish I'd taken my time, we could easily have saved them both :((

2. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I wonder if possibly mum was still around and little one made its way back to her; or mum grabbed it and took it with her?

SpringDance likes this.
  3. NinaB

NinaB PetForums Junior

Could be possible I suppose, I just worry that a fox found her although the food we left was untouched,

4. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Don't beat yourself up hun, probably Mummy cat is taking care of the little one. Might be worth having a word with the CPL to see if they can provide a trap? x

claire8234 likes this.
  5. NinaB

NinaB PetForums Junior

This evening I knocked on the door of the nearest house where they were found and I saw an adult cat similar colouring to the one we have adopted, coming along the path near the field where the kittens were, apparently there are a lot of wild cats around as the farmer not far away keeps them. So they were not abandoned kittens they were wild and yes probably mum was around. So that's great we've gone and stolen one of the farmers cats Actually the one we have is very needy and loving, the one that I thought I'd lost was quite feisty and wild so probably better off where it is with mum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice