Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Abandoned kit!!

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by Monica Smiddy, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Monica Smiddy

Monica Smiddy PetForums Newbie

I have a two day old kit who pretty much bit through mum's teat and she wants nothing to do with him now. He's loosing weight so i called my breeder and he said give him kmr kitten milk warm in a 1ml syringe. He's been doing ok. Ppl have been freaking out on FB about the kitten milk tho. Is it really that bad to give them? What should I do if I have to change the formula?

2. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

Don't give kitten milk as its designed for carnivores.
    You can give 50/50 evaporated milk and cooled boiled water or straight goats milk. Give via an eye dropper or pipette. You will have to feed every 2 hours round the clock, as much as the kit wants to eat. Is the mother attacking it or anything? as if you have to completely remove from mum you will need to keep the kit warm.

3. Monica Smiddy

I know there's a war on milks but I've been giving him the kmr he didn't eat the goats and was just spitting all over himself. He took right to the kmr and has been doing well. He gained a gram over night. Five or six of the breeders I know use/recommended kmr with great results. So I caved in last night and fed him the kmr. He's peeing and pooping regularly and eats normally. He's a squirmer tho so I end up repositioning alot

4. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

I don't know what country you're in but I don't know any breeders that would give kitten milk. I would switch him onto one of the other options, kitten milk is high in protein for starters it is not designed to cater for herbivores.

5. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

Also some prefer the milk warmed.

6. Monica Smiddy

I'm in New Jersey USA. I guess I'll try goat's milk again maybe he'll take it. I am warming it but maybe a wee warmer will help. Ty

7. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

You're welcome and good luck! Hand rearing from such a young age is not easy.
    When he's a few weeks old you may be able to get him to drink milk from a bottle attached to the cage.

8. Monica Smiddy

Everything is going fine. He's gaining weight and peeing/pooping regularly. I am curious as to the normality of yellow poops....he's only five days old and on goat's milk. I do provide hay and a couple pellets just in case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice