Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

abandoned dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by puddin16, Mar 27, 2011.

1. puddin16

puddin16 PetForums Newbie

if you take an abandoned dog to the vets what is the procedure?
    do you sign anything
    does the vet sign anything when passing a abandoned dog to an dog rescue soceity?

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

i think you are supposed to let the dog warden know?
    where abouts are you?

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Not sure in what context you are reffering too, if you have found an abadoned dog the usual practice now I believe is to contact the area council dog warden, if Im right stray dogs are the responsibility of the council. Otherwise it might be an idea to contact the PDSA if you have one or even the RSPCA they could advise you on the procedure, and could well take the dog in and treat it if neccessary.

4. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

If you find an lost/abandoned/stray dog and hand it in you have first refusal to claim the dog if the owner doesn't. This is because dogs are classed as property in UK law so they belong to the finder if the owner is not found.

5. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

If 'abandoned dog' = stray dog then it should be surrendered to the local authority.

If the dog is unclaimed then title of ownership passes to the local authority who can then decide how best to dispose of it. I don't think treasure trove applies to dogs. Here's the relevent paragraph from the EPA 1990.
    Environmental Protection Act 1990

6. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Thanks John. I didn't know that :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice