Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

aaagghhhh paint

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by amy**, May 7, 2010.

1. amy**

amy** PetForums Junior

Hi,

I’m a bit worried about our kitten and just wanted some reassurance. We are redecorating and Millie managed to cover herself in paint. I have cleaned as much off her as possible but am worried the paint will hurt her. She has been cleaning herself, can this be dangerous? Is it worth taking her to the vets?

She seems fine, infact she's in a mischievous mood and has just drunk my milk out of my glass!!!

Thanks in advance

Amy

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! Is your artistic cat covered in emulsion or gloss? If it is emulsion it is water soluble, so you could give her a bath with kitten shampoo.

3. amy**

amy** PetForums Junior

H

It’s emulsion. I have tried giving her a bath and she wasn’t having any of it, i have the scratches to prove it. Iv wiped her down with a damp towel as much as possible. Most of it has gone i’m just worried about it hurting her if she has ate any

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

If there is only a little left then I doubt that will do much harm. However, perhaps to be on the safe side, can you try to clean those areas with a damp towel as you have done or cut the pieces of painted fur out (only if she then doesn't look like a made edward scissor hands creation)?

5. Tje

Tje Banned

would it be flippant to ask what colour the paint was, lol. :p

(my cat jumped onto my newly painted - glossed - blue window sill, I was in total panic as all 4 paws were bright blue). Gloss is trickier as water doesn't disolve it, but this is just emulsion, soo...

I agree with Hobbs... a bath.

but if she really doesn't want that (hehe, I have yet to meet a cat that does actually want a bath) then dont rub her down with just a damp towel... rub her down with a good soking wet towel/cloth or sponge. It doesn't matter how wet she gets... the water will dilute the paint. Good warm water (38 degrees) will be better than luke warm water. If you use soap in the water you will have to rinse throughly, so try first with plain water.

6. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

also... clip her claws before bathing... makes it a lot less painful... and just be firm and fair and above all quick and efficient! even rubbing over with plain water should work fairly well for emulsion

7. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

In terms of if you're worried because she's been licking her coat with the paint on it, she should be fine. My friends' puppy drank paint out the tin last week(!) and the vet said he'd be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice