Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aaagghh! Council tax!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jan 27, 2012.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I want to scream! :(

I have council tax debts from some years ago (yes, stupid me but I am trying to get it sorted out).

I ignored it and ignored it for ages and in the run up to xmas I was not able to afford the £10 a week so I cancelled the direct debit.

I was told over the phone that they agree'd I could pay £5 a week as I had several other things coming out of my bank.
    But I lost the bit of paper I wrote the details on to set up a standing order with!

So I just rung up to get them again and had some snotty woman being really rude to me so I ended up hanging up on her.

She told me she wanted to up it to £12 a week and I said no I was told I could have £5 a week and that I would increase it again when I stopped paying for some other things I was paying for out of my bank and she was telling me they can't accept that.

Well... it's either that or nothing :confused: stupid people now she says they can make a wage arrest on my partners wages?! WTF his money has nothing to do with me he pays the mortgage payments and the gas/electric.
    And here on the letter says they can arrest my bank account :scared: WHY can they not just accept the money I offered what I have spare instead of threatening me to leave us with no money at all :crying:

I can't get a job there is no work here and quite simply I don't have time to be able to afford child care as well. I don't know what to do now :(

Do I just agree to the £12 and struggle? I suppose I shall have to give up learning to drive :(

2. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

In future with things like this. Put everything in a letter so that you always have letters as proof of financial arrangements.

It saves you arguing over the phone and getting stressed out and buys you a little time whilst you wait for letters and vice versa.

The woman on the phone doesn't care about your circumstances cos she's heard it 100 times already today from other people.

Sit down and write a letter to the council telling them what you can afford. Photocopy it for reference if you like and send it off. Don't get snotty in your letters. Keep it civil. Explain your situation.

Always do it for tax credits unless you really have to phone them urgently. Saves you hanging about on the phone for hours.

#2 Lavenderb, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Really I am amazed at your attitude.

The council are the stupid ones? :confused:

YOU cancelled the direct debit.

YOU lost the bit of paper.

YOU hung up the phone.

You wonder why a woman appeared to be "snotty" or why a previous agreement has been changed? :eek:

There is no point in ranting about the state you find yourself in because you have failed to tackle your responsibilities and sit down and confront the truth.

If you have sufficient disposable income to spend on driving lessons then you have sufficient funds to pay your debts. You will have to do what many of us do, go without luxuries until you can afford to pay for them.

YOU want to scream?

Believe me, after reading your post, so do I!

Waterlily, jay_bird, Cleo38 and 2 others like this.
  4. HelloKittyHannah

HelloKittyHannah PetForums VIP

You can write to them detailing your incomings and outgoings to show you can't afford it, but they will expect to see where every penny goes! Also they can dock your OH's wages without yours or his consent I believe. When my Sister left her ex she had a council tax bill in her name that she didn't pay. They threatened to dock HIS wages (even though they were no longer together!) unless he told them where she was now living. They now take the money from her wages before she even gets paid!

For £12 a month is it really worth the hassle? There must be things you can cut back on, it's only an extra £7 to find? It also means it'll be paid off faster so you can get them off your back.

5. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

It was 12 pound a week, not a month, wasn't it? Or do I keep reading it wrong?
    Yes, she may have mad a mistake and canceled the direct debit, but I don't think there is any point in having a go at her for this (not you hellokittyhannah) its happened now, and the fact is that now she has to find a way which she can afford to pay...
    Just write to them, explaining that you can't afford to pay any more than £5, and there is nothing that can be done about that... In writting a letter, that may actually get to the person that it involves, whereas on the phone you would have got a 'messenger' so to say...

And as for driving lessons, in some cases, they are a necessity... To do the career I want to do, I need to be able to drive, so sometimes it is needed...

6. malibu

malibu Guest

I'd write a letter also, the woman who answered the phone was probably sick of hearing the same things off people constantly, I'm sure if you ring up again you would be told different. Hope it gets sorted soon

7. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Not been a smart ass but a debt is more important then xmas lol ;) they arent the stupid ones, they are trying to recover "stolen" money and yes thats what it is. You should be putting the money away as if its dire cos it can be if they decide to repossess your house /car or send your ass to jail.
    A budget thats reasonable and liveable can be made up if you really wanted to. I can help but thats up to you.

8. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Not commenting whether I agree or not as nothing to do with me and its a good few years since I had to worry about paying bills.

Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau they will look at what comes in/what goes out and advise you on managing money/budgeting they will write to council etc for you and suggest manageable payments.

9. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

and go without, booze, fags, magazines, junk food, make up, and shitt ? are you serious :confused: :p

10. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

This happened to me about 2 years ago. Long complicated story but here goes!
    I left my ex and moved backin with my dad, my dad dies 6mths later very suddenly (within a week) and my sister moved in as the house is huge and it would be better all round. I gave her money for the rent and council tax, she didnt pay it! :eek:
    Moved in with OH then last December they arrested funds from my bank account, first I knew of anything!

Paid off now but some of the workers are extremely rude and unhelpful. I think its Scott & Co that do it, they have an office in Glasgow city centre and i was gonna walk in and give the cheeky madam a peice of my mind :mad: ALl i got from her was "that's not our problem"

11. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

They deal with people that cant be arsed paying bills till the final notice then have the audacity to abuse them for asking for money that is owed back. Every now and then someone legit like you comes along and cops the force but I can understand exactly why they have no patience, and it isnt there problem.. its yours :p

12. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

I used to work in the Santander call centre and id have got a bollocking if I would have spoken to anyone the way she spoke to me hun, she changed her tune fair quick when I said I was coming down to see her and her manager as I was only 10 mniutes away

If she cant handle her stressful role without getting snide she shouldnt be in the job imo. I pay my council tax every month without fail but its a bastard, do you pay anything like that in Australia?

13. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

We pay shire rates etc so yeah I think its similar.

14. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

Try living in the country. We pay business rates, community charge and parish rates.

15. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

I'm currently paying off debts, mine are what are classed as "non-priority" debts, meaning credit cards, loans etc.

I've been doing my own debt management plan for 6 years now and have paid off over half of my debt in that time. Its not been easy and over the last few years I have had to reduce the payments because of the cost of living etc, but I have never stopped paying them, and at the end of the day if you play fair with them they are usually good at accepting what you can afford. Something is better than nothing.

I used the National Debtline (National Debtline – Free, Confidential Debt Advice – Call 0808 808 4000) they have all kinds of information to help people deal with their debts, pro forma letters that you can send, and a budget form.

Luckily all my household bills are paid and they are the first to get paid. I know how frustrating some of the people can be that you have to deal with, but at the end of the day they are just doing their job and trying to claw back the money that is owed to them. I will not enter into any telephone conversations with my creditors because at the end of the day I can't prove the content of a telephone call, so I do all mine by letter and always state at the end of the letter that I will only correspond in this manner.

Under Section 9 of the Lending Code they are expected to be sympathic to people in financial difficulties and they also have to adhere to how you have asked to communicate, but ONLY if they have not had any problems in getting hold of you by this manner.

My suggestion is that you send them a budget form so they can see where your outgoings are, it may also help you to see where you may be spending unecessarily and where you may be able to cut back. Once you've done this enclose it with a letter explaining your financial circumstances, making your offer and advise them that you will only respond to letters. The other suggestion I would make is to set up a monthly standing order rather than direct debit, this way the payments are in your control, not theirs.

Sorry, didn't mean to type an essay!!

Fleur likes this.
  16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

No, my debts are not more important than xmas when I have young children. Was I fck going to let them wake up to nothing on xmas morning just because I had council tax to pay, when I shouldn't even be paying the amount they have me down for in the first place, because my housing benefit was messed up and I should have been having council tax reduced rate and I wasn't, which is why I couldn't afford to pay it.

And yes driving is necessary because there are NO jobs in my area and I need to be able to drive so I can get a job.

There was no need for the woman on the other end of the phone to be rude to me though. And I did write in my post that yes, getting into debt was stupid and I am trying to fix it.

I am also sure that they are making me pay back the council tax on a house that OH has just finished paying back the council tax for! :confused:

I'm going to go to cab and get them to help me because I do have other stuff I have to pay for out of my money I get, OH's money has nothing to do with me or my debts but I need to be able to live still. I don't spend any money on clothes, make up, magazines etc just the kids and the dogs.

17. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Council tax is one of the bills you really need to keep on top of, because the council will think nothing of refering your debt to bailiffs and then they add on their costs too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice