Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Freyja, May 29, 2010.

1. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

When is he going to get the message?

Today I once again met the man with the 2 shar pei's and again he let them jump all over my dogs telling me it's ok cu they are friendly. I told him again to keep his dogs away from mine and under control or on a lead.

This time because of Simba having stitches in his leg I had taken Angel with Amber. Now Angel does not live up to her name or rather she does as she was named after a vampire called Angel. She had her hackles up and was growling although quietly I could hear her I don't think the man could.

Again I told him my dogs were on leads and it could be because they were aggressive (they are not Angel just does not like dogs bouncing in her face) he said it was my problem and to get a life. I again told him seeing as my dogs were under control if they bit his dogs then it would be his own fault. One day I will meet him when I have Tegan with me and she is a dominant bitch and would not stand for it and would not bite but would tell his dogs in no uncertain terms that she doesn't like it.

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

That can be so annoying! Your poor dogs i hate people who say 'it's ok their friendly'. They never seem considerate as to why your dogs may be on the lead!! :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

3. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

They are total morons aren't they :(

If one of your dogs bit one of his, he would be the first to kick off and make a fuss!!

Unfortunately there is no telling people like that, he will have to learn the hard way which unfortunately means his dogs or someone elses dogs will get harmed :(

4. superstar038

superstar038 PetForums Junior

I hate people like that! i have one semi aggressive dog who i always keep on the lead around other people, and when i have a dog that come jumping up in his face people just "oh hes just being friendly, what a nasty dog you have" grrrr yes thats why hes on a lead. Some peopl are just infuriating

5. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I got very irritated yesterday when I was down at the kennels. I was going to take out Jessie first, who is dog aggressive, then changed my mind and took out Cassie. I was quite happy, as she is generally dog friendly and it was a nice day so guessed people would have their dogs out, she wears a halti as she pulls like a train. I was walking along by the army ranges, and 3 dogs came running over, so i made Cassie sit and shooed the other dogs off, and had to wait 5 mins from their owners to come. They then said to me "Is your dog friendly?" so I replied with "Yes, however can sometimes snap", so we let the dogs introduce each other, and one of their dogs started trying to intimidate Cassie so she snapped and had a go at him. I then said to the owners, "You really shouldn't let your dogs just run up to other dogs like that, as the dogs I walk are rescue and a few are dog aggressive and would've turned into a big fight!", they just walked off. Grr... Everyone in that area, know that there are boarding/rescue kennels right by those woods!!!!

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

None of my dogs are actually aggressive I just don't let them free run as the path we walk on is next to the busy main road. We live on the other side of this road and being whippets they don't have much road sense. I just don't like other peoples dogs coming running up to them and bouncing about in their faces.

The other day they went for a walk with a woman with a dallie and a dallie cross both off lead but both minded their own business and although they said hello in a quite calm manner they weren't bouncing around even though I was walking with their owner

7. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

One of my dogs is like that too... if we're out with both dogs (which is very rare cos Tiger has to get everywhere at 200mph and Ruby likes to amble along and take her time) then everyone assumes that they're both fine and that they can let their dogs do whatever they want, but Tiger is very funny with other dogs, there aren't many he is calm and polite around.

Ruby is absoloutely fine with other dogs but she's blind and very nervous, so any other dog coming bounding up to her could easily scare her, so I don't like dogs bouncing around her either. She'd never bite or be aggressive, she'd just be frightened, and obviously I don't want her to be scared! Luckily i've never had much of a problem with that though cos she wears a coat that says she's blind so most responsible people spot it and recall their dogs so that they can meet calmly :)

8. ScottieDog

ScottieDog PetForums Junior

Oh no you would hate my Scottie boy he is one of those that runs up to other dogs but stops about 1 foot away waits to see what the other dog will do first

meanwhile my westie is busy stirring the wooden spoon in the background.

But hey if your dog bit my dog then so be it.

9. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I'd be terrified of letting my dog just go running up to another dog :scared: you never know what they're gonna do! I don't even know what my own dog is gonna do half the time, never mind the other one :eek6:

10. ScottieDog

ScottieDog PetForums Junior

it's the owners. Dogs will sort themselves out .

all my dogs are well adjusted and social dogs (old and new) never had any real major problems to date.

Honestly my dogs and other dogs that we have met are more aggressive on leads.

11. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

Hmmm...these kind of threads confuse me a little. :)

Aren't dog basically sociable, and isn't it normal for dogs to want to say 'hello' to each other. Though I suppose there is a difference between a calm approach and a bouncy one.

What Jena does, when I allow her to approach another dog whether on lead or not (or when she turns a deaf ear to me), she'll run to the dog, then stop a few feet away and either just stand or lie down, and then depending on the other dogs reaction (which I'm often not close enough to see) she'll either continue her approach or walk away.

We've made friends with a few dogs and owners over local park that walk their dogs on a lead without any problems. :thumbup:

12. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

MOST dogs are better at greeting each other off lead than on believe it or not! the main reason for this is that they are not restrained in any way and can act according to instinct! Unfortunately, this is not seen as acceptable by a lot of people, especially if one of the dogs in question comes bouncy bouncy like Tigger!!! Dogs on leads can pick up on the owners insecurities about what they are going to do and will behave inappropriately because they either go into defence mode (oh dear. my master is uptight...this other dog must be a threat...i had better protect my master) or will go into attack mode (you must be a nasty dog if my master wont let me play with you...i am going to put you in your place).

its all about body language. if you watch dogs off lead meeting each other they will usually approach from the side - never head on or from the rear. one or another will bow to the superior ones position and thats it! they are friends. when us humans interfer in this communication is when the problems start. two dogs meeting on leads are usually face on - a threat!

the problem is usually easily remedied - if your dog starts acting up when in the path of another oncoming dog move him/her to the side, change direction so that they are not facing each other and distract him with a sit, whats this?, or leave it. then when they are both calm allow them to follow what would be a normal path - ie arriving sideways on to each other.

13. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

itslike my friends dog she wasout ona walk and thiswoman had he jackrussel with he she didnt have it on a lead and he keep going up and jumping and growling at her dog she told her to put the dog on a lead because her dog dosent get on with other but she didnt listen it hard to get people to understand and really anoning

14. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

An interesting read, and good information. :thumbup:

15. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My dogs are sociable and are happy to meet other dogs that don't come up bouncing in their face. Amber doesn't bother she is quick enough to get out of their way and because she is so quick can be a bit of a wind up merchant as they'll not get near her. Angel doesn't mind other dogs but doesn't like them bouncing in her face. These 2 dogs have already frightened Simba once he get frightened easily and if he wasn't on a lead would bolt.

They are happy toplay with a staffy and staffy x who live a few doors down and a dalmation and a dalmation x who we met the other day allof which are off leads and mine are on extending leads.

This owner has been told on more than one occassion I do not want his dogs bouncing all over mine and has a clear view of me coming down the path and makes no attempt to recall his dogs. He cannot mistake me for someone else as no one in the area has whippets. Most other people who walk on this path use extending leads for their dogs as it is near to a busy main road.

I will continue to walk my dogs on this path and I will continue to tell this man o keep his dogs on a lead you never know one day I may have Tegan with me. His dogs are bitches and Tegan does not take kindly to unknown bitches bouncing at her she is an old dog even though she doesn't look it and will warn them away. She wont bite but will growl then maybe he will get the message

Oops just remembered there is another whippet in the area my mum has Mad Milly but if he can't tell the difference between a whippet and a JRT walked by a man and 2 whippets walked by a woman its time to give up. Mad Milly also doesn't like big dogs because she has been attacked by one the only big dog she as happy to be with was William as we had him when she was born so she knew him for all her life.

#15 Freyja, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  16. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i'd be careful about trying to put two shar pei's in their place. aint they fighting dogs?
    all that loose skin to protect vital bits

17. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I wouldn't put any of my dogs at risk but I walk all my dogs on this path some times just 2 together and sometimes 6 together. Its only a matter of time before I meet him when I have the older dogs with me and they would just not take kindly to a couple of dogs jumping in their faces. I also wouldn't want his dogs to get hurt but what can I do he can clearly see me walking towards him he knows I don't want his dogs jumping on my dogs but will not recall his dogs. He says its my problem not his if I don't want his dogs jumping at mine. I'm not giving up walking my dogs down this path as it is one of the few places were I can walk them that is not actually on a road.

I walk my dogs when I get home from work which is usually between 5 and 6 and at the weekend walk them earlier in the afternoon but whenever I walk them I meet this man.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice