Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aaaah!! Why is my dog so crazy!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by theothersparticus, Oct 26, 2012.

1. theothersparticus

theothersparticus PetForums Senior

So ages ago I posted about how Bo would get so wound up sometimes that she would run round and round and then jump up at my and bite at me and the lead :mad: this was nearly always when on the lead.

And over time, she's stopped doing this. I have to admit I don't entirely know what stopped it, whether it was more exercise, more training or possibly that she doesn't like walking in the dark.

A couple of days ago she did it again :( it was so embarrassing as I was walking her away from another dog and of course the owner of the other dog thought she was dangerous :(

Then again today, she had an 'episode' straight out of the door which was annoying but then again on the way home she slipped her collar next to a road and went crazy :mad:

I was seriously annoyed as I went a bit mad today and bought her a 3Peaks dog collar and braided lead. I checked the collar and there was nothing that could have irritated her, no lose threads, etc and she's pulled most of the reflective bits off the lead, which was the whole reason I bought it!!

First off...No, she's not on Bakers :wink: she's on Wainwrights dry food. She was bitten on the ear by a dog last week so could this have set her off?

Can anyone suggest why she could be doing this and how to stop it before I go mad?? :eek: I can't stay mad at her cute face but she looks like a dangerous dog and she is putting herself in danger :nonod:

2. LurcherOwner

LurcherOwner Guest

For the jumping up and biting thing, I am having that with my adolescent lurch, and ignoring seems to work best.

Is there anything similar with each episode? Does she spook at certain things? Do you think it could be the weather?

I don't really have anything helpful really, but hopefully the others on here will be much better!

Either way keep at it, I know that it can be very disheartening, make sure you have time to relax as, as you probs know, you being apprehensive about something happening or worried may transfer to your dogster.

:)

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

For jumping and biting I would stand still and ignore it, Rocky did this and he soon learned he didn't get to continue his walk while he was doing it.

If she is managing to slip her collar, is it tight enough or do you maybe need a martingale/half check so she can't do that? Dave can get out of a normal collar as he has a wide neck, before I got a martingale for him I put a choke on too so that it was relaxed all the time because the lead was also attached to the collar, but if he was to get out the collar, I was still attached to him.

Bit hard to work out how to stop the 'freak out' episodes without knowing what is triggering them though...

4. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

Oscar used to bite the lead and go a bit mad. I actually started using a chain lead and he soon stopped as he hated biting the metal. I can now use a normal nylon lead. Also like others just standing still and letting them get on with it within reason worked or asking for a few simple sits, downs to break the cycle.

5. theothersparticus

theothersparticus PetForums Senior

I normally stand still but as this last time she got off her collar I had to react. I really wish I could pick out what set it off, I thought it was dogs somehow getting her over excited but there were no dogs around today.

She normally has a martingale collar but both are in the wash covered in poo :-(, might use her half check with the other collar for safety, cheers PG :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice