Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aaaaaaaarrrgggghhhh

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by thedogsmother, May 10, 2010.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Syd just brought a bird in, I hate it when the cats kill birds but this one is still alive and injured. I cant bring myself to finish it off in case it has a chance of making it and the vets (when I rang) said to just put it back outside:mad:. Any advice anyone?

2. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Keep it comfortable Dora :) Might pull through...not our decision to say kill it! Let nature do it's thing. x

3. thedogsmother

It has an injury on the back of its neck and without stressing it out even more I dont know how bad it is, if its still with us tomorrow I will give it a little bathe and see if I can find someone who will care for it without putting it to sleep but Im not holding out a lot of hope:(.

4. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

An injury as in a wound of a break? Me think that you should put it in the quietest place in the house, warm it up and leave him till morning. Fingers crossed for the little birdy. Unfortunately, my cats are not so nice with wild birds...they usually kill them before bringing them to me! :(

5. thedogsmother

The kids were chasing the cat round the garden trying to get the bird off him which is why he ran sraight through the cat flap and got caught, he would normally have just braught me a nice head or something:(. I dont think its neck is broken but he has damaged the skin on the back of its neck. Its in a hamster cage covered with a towel, I will pop a bowl of water and some millet in tonight if its still with us.

6. thedogsmother

Omg it is up and hopping about and tweeting like mad,Ive put some egg food and a bowl of water in there but it looks a lot perkier. Any advice where I look for help if its still with us tomorrow, or any cat free homes in west yorkshire who would be willing to raise him/her for me. I dont think a home with 3 cats is the friendliest place for a convalescing bird.

7. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

Is their any wildlife rescues near you?

8. thedogsmother

I asked the vet who said they didnt know of any, the RSPCA said if the bird was too ill to be released they would pts but otherwise I should put it outside :mad:.

9. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Try looking at wildlife rescues on the internet for near your area or ring somebody up near you that breed birds or have an avairy.
    One of mine bought in a blackbird a few weeks ago. I managed to find a lady that took in injured birds. He made a full recovery and was set free a week later.
    I hope your little bird makes it.
    Put some food in the cage with some water so he doesn't get hungary or thirsty.

10. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Awwww good news! What sort of bird is it?

11. thedogsmother

I think its a baby blackbird.

12. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Awww bless! Maybe you could sneak us a picture xx

13. thedogsmother

I didnt want to stress it out so I just took two quick ones, they arent great but it might help with identification.

Attached Files:

14. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Maybe a starling actually...? Nonetheless...he/she is way cute!! :)

15. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

My mum has re abilated many young birds when I was little and they love mincemeat.. she has fixed broken legs with matchsticks and everything..lol We had 18 cats so we used to get a lot in..

My mum and dad were foster carers for cats.. just incase you thought we were a bit over run..lol

16. hawksport

hawksport Banned

If he is still alive in the morning feed him some small worms.

17. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

seconded :)

18. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

It looks like a baby blackbird, it will be too young to feed itself, so you will either need to find a rescue centre near you - don't bother with the RSPCA - they are a total waste of time!! If you can't find any near you give Tiggywinkles a ring as they have heaps of rescuers on their books so maybe able to help.
    If you are wanting/having! to raise it you will need to find a supplier of mealworms - pet shop or internet supplier, failing that mix some cat food(the kind that looks like smush not the chunks in jelly) and some scrambled egg in a bowl - use tweezers and stuff chick!!:D It will open it's mouth as a defense but they soon realise after a few bits of food have been stuffed in that you = food!! Don't worry about water - there is enough in the food - they can drown if you try and give them any via syringe.
    You need to put the food - a baked bean sized piece will do fine, right to the back of its mouth - the second hole which is bigger is the oesophagus - the first is the glottis(air tube:D), keep going until it is full - it will stop opening its mouth - about 5 or 6 bean sized bits will probably do each feed, this needs to be repeated every hour during daylight hours - so from 5am till dark!!!
    Your cat has probably found its nest and will probably bring you more!!!:rolleyes: Good luck!!!!:D
    Forgot to say it needs to be somewhere warm - wrap a hot water bottle, that is warm not hot, in a towel and stick chick in a small box/marg tub lined with something like paper towels - to help insulate it - basically make a nest, as it is so small it needs extra heat as it will usually have its nest mates during the day and mum at night keeping it warm.

#18 AlexArt, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  19. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

No that be a starling. Cause of the speckles on its front! The poor thing. Have you found any wildlife places hun? They will defo take it in. We had to take a baby squirrel down to one near us cause the cats caught it! We woke up to alot of screaming and wondered the devil it was!! The pair of them were sitting in the hall way tails waging big grins on their faces and this poor squirrel in the corner! Both looked up at me as if to say "Look what we caught mum!"

Thats the one near us Tiggywinkles! They are great they are!

20. leashedForLife

the speckled breast makes me think this baby is a young robin -
    i will attach pix of a robin vs a starling, either a pic or a link to one.

to find a rehabber -
    Go to Google maps, near Ur area - list a town or nearby city
    CLICK on * search nearby *
    TYPE IN * wildlife rehabilitator * + click *search* -
    i got 208 results around London

blackbird + fledgling - scroll down
    British Trust for Ornithology's Garden Birdwatch, recording the birds found in your garden all year round>

robin fledgling - upper left of page -
    Features: Cats and Garden Widlife

ROBINS + BLACKBIRDS both can eat an emergency food -
    dry cat-food of decent quality, ADD water - about one part water to 2-parts dry cat food
    let is soak-up the water - it will still be solid, but saturated -
    individual pieces can be fed with fingers

birds are NOT fed every Hour - they are fed every TWENTY MINUTES from sun-up to sun-down.
    they need to sleep in a DARK place, to keep the baby quiet so they do not burn energy at night.
    a closet is good - or park the baby in the second-bathroom, and don;t use it at night.

good luck, hun -
    --- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice