Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aaaaaaaah! Fleas!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by huwwatkins, May 2, 2011.

1. huwwatkins

huwwatkins PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I have two cats and yesterday noticed a bouncy looking flea on the kitchen work unit. Now -when it comes to this sort of thing I am a complete nancy and had a bit of a freak out.

So today both my cats were frontlined using frontline combi and the whole house hoovered and sprayed with Acclaim flea spray. I think I went a tiny bit overboard with it as its rated for a 4 bedroom house and I used it all in a 1 up 1 down!

So, the cats were done a few hours ago and all looks good - every now an then ill find a half dead looking flea near one of the cats - they seems to be laying there wriggling around on its back not going anywehere - on occasion one might do a half hearted jump but not get very far. I really hope this is what suppossed to happen! I plan to go round after and hoover them all up.

Right now most of the clothes and bed linen are going through a 90 degree wash.

So - based on the above I should be doing everything right? Where do I go from here - My plan was to repeat the frontline every 4 weeks and repeat the flea spray in 6 months time.

Thanks

Huw

2. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

Spot on, can't think of anything else to add..By repeating the frontline and acclaim you'll get any which are now eggs and will later hatch...

3. huwwatkins

Hi
    Thanks for the reasurance - I can deal with most things with cats but fleas aren't one of them :D

4. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

I've been a vet nurse for years, blood etc fine, fleas, ticks and maggots still make me wanna puke!!

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Agree but not to hot with rodents either! Especially larger ones with long tails!

6. huwwatkins

Quick question : How long should I be finding half dead fleas for? A few days?

7. huwwatkins

OK so a week later and after de fleaing the cats and spraying every inch of the house with a combination of acclaim and indorex I think I'm winning.

I am seeing the odd flea here and there - mainly in the cats water bowl and oddly enough - the toilet.

Is it normal to be seeing the odd flea now? Im guessing they are just the left overs that are hatching?

Cheers

Huw

8. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Is there anything which you can you put in the vaccum to make sure they are double dodo? I hate them as well

9. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I'll join with hating the little buggers :(

Sounds like what you've used is doing the trick but if you still have the occasional one jumping and it freaks you out (as it does me) try a can of Skoosh. It's completely non-insecticidal and can be used alongside the traditional pesticide based treatments you've used. We had a simply awful flea problem in the spring of the first year of moving into our new (well, old) home and Skoosh was the only thing which stopped the still live ones from jumping. It's also the only product on the market which kills one lifecycle stage (can never recall which, either larvae or pupae) which other types of treatments don't kill... it's the residue of the pesticide based stuff that gets them when they hatch.

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Having a Dyson Pet hoover goes a long way to helping this problem I think.

There ain't much that one of those won't suck up!!! In fact, I am sometimes amazed that I still have carpets after going round with that monster.... :eek:

11. huwwatkins

Hi
    I've got a dyson animal that im hoovering frequently with. I even put some indorex inside the vac cylinder :p Im not too concerned about the few that Im seeing - I just wanted to make sure that it was normal and it was just the last few dying out?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice