Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

AAA! help!!!

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by snail_love, May 18, 2010.

1. snail_love

snail_love PetForums Member

Hi, i was walking from school with my friends when i saw a snail some one had put out to dry up!(it was a boiling hot day) and i picked him up, deciding to care from him for a while. i dont know how long he was out there but i put him in the cool material in my blazer and sprayed a bit of water on him. Half an hour later i was at home and i put him in my tank with my other two banded snails (he is a common brown snail) and he still hasnt come out!! i put him near some apple but 5 hours later he has not come out yet!!!

PLEASE help i only want to do good!

2. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

3. snail_love

thanks so much im hoping for more answers!

4. metame

metame PetForums VIP

again yeah try running him under water, make sure that the compost ir whtever you have in the tank is quite damp under where he is sitting. i'm sure he'll come out if you keep him wet/damp and he's still alive

5. snail_love

thanks ill try that and come back tomorow

6. snail_love

actually, ill say today, he has moved a tiny bit but still retracted. i forgot to say but he has a slight bit of shell damage in the tightest whirl. i dont know what happened though :(

EDIT: how long should i put him under water

7. snail_love

mum shouted at me to go to bed but he came out and is currently off to eat the other two :/

8. metame

metame PetForums VIP

eat the other two or eat WITH the other two?
    im sure he wont eat the other two, and dont put him in water just run it over him for a few minutes.

(although land snails have been known to survive long amounts of time under water...little survivors that they are...)

9. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I just wanted to say that coming and reading this thread has thoroughly warmed my heart.

You are one special little lady Nadia. I hope you have the sweetest of dreams and wake to a very lively snail in the morning xxx

10. snail_love

wow thanks! yep he was lively alright! he climbed all round the tank twice and went to sleep on the roof. Sorry metame i meant eat with the others!!! whoops, my bad!
    Thanks everyone, I dont mean to be annoying but i need to ask 1 teeny question, can i keep him in the same tank as the others? I mean, hes quite big compared to the others and hes a different species?????

11. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Why not complete the cycle and take him back to where you found him, and release him in a safe place near by :)

12. snail_love

thanks, i would only its boiling hot every day here and i dont want him sriveling!

13. metame

metame PetForums VIP

he wont shrivel. as long as he's healthy again, he'll be ok. snails and slugs etc all go underground during the day where its cooler. He'll be ok. If snails can survive in Africa, they can in england :)

14. snail_love

ok thanks, although he seems fine now! Ive got really attached to him now (yes, it sounds silly) but hes soo cute and hes got his own personality! I was thinking of expanding the tank and keeping him, or would that be a little cruel?
    By the way, im going to coast to coast (a reptile and other slimy and crawly stuff shop) and getting some plastic leaves and a reptile dish. Maybe some loam (if they sell it). What type of leaves should i get??

15. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

Please have a look at this excellent snail forum...
    LINK: PetSnails Forum - Home

16. snail_love

hi thanks for the forum link although i have been on it before and it takes hours to find a decent answer to my question :(. i was wondering if anyone actually had plastick leaves and could tell me which ones are best

17. metame

metame PetForums VIP

i dont sorry. a good thing to do though is start growing your own lettuces. When they get big enough, you can replant them in the tank and they'll carry on growing and means the snails not only have access to food that wont rot, but have something natural to climb over

but the lettuces dont last too long in the tank :lol:

18. snail_love

cool i might try that!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice