Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A weeks worth of raw in one freezer drawer

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by babycham2002, Mar 29, 2011.

1. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Went to morrisons this evening.
    Come back, mum says you're never gonna get all that in!!!
    I said yes I am and I won
    Just wish Id got a picture of it all in the packets cos it looked even more then.
    Obv cos buying from supermarket cost more than usual but here's what I got

6.5 kg of chicken wings and chicken quarters
    798g pig kidney
    558g Lamb kidney
    800g chicken livers
    3 tins of sardines
    380g pork ribs (not tried pork again yet)
    3kg carrots
    500g parsnips
    9 free range eggs

Well I say a weeks worth its actually over a weeks worth in chicken and almost 3 weeks worth of offal.
    Cost me £21.07 on meat fish and eggs
    £3.00 on veg

This is to feed 3 dogs that are relatively new to raw (certainly a whole raw diet anyway)
    One golden retriever ideal weight 30-31kg current weight 32kg eating 2%
    Two chinese cresteds weighing 6kg requiring 3%

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thats my mum told!! :lol:

2. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Looking good. We get all ours free from the butchers now weekly, have you not got a butchers near by who will give/charge a small fee. They have to pay to get the left overs taken away anyways.. :)

3. babycham2002

I have thought about that, gotta pluck up the courage to go in and ask really. :eek:
    Do you buy your own stuff from them as well? Dont wanna just barge in asking for freebies, I do like nice proper sausages and chicken for myself so I could buy that in there.
    The one next to my old work used to give me free trotters :). Ppl at work loved it when I put them in the fridge at lunch :lol:

4. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

no we dont buy anything aha and they let us used their feild when ever we want its all encloused lovely people they are :D

we get the bones from them weekly, tripe from landywoods monthly and veg ect as and when :)

Build up that courage and go ask..Most are more than happy to get rid of some! :D

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Lucky dogs nice to see them getting real food

6. babycham2002

Will do :smile: I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank you :001_smile:, cue some gratutious (sp) pics of their dinners tonite

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:crying:

He SWORE he was vegetarian :crying:

:lol:

xxxxx

8. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

All looks very yummy, bet they love it. Good value too - like the rhyming thread title BTW :) think it should finish - Next week I will go, and get me some more! :D

9. babycham2002

Percy's bowl is the green one, thats a quorn wing and quorn offal ;) :D

10. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Looks nice whereas I got to be nearly sick cutting up liver and kidney for his one organ meal of the week. At least it wasn't tripe

11. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I KNEW he'd never lie to me *swoon* :001_wub:

I didn't really doubt him for a second :eek: :D

xxxxx

12. babycham2002

I love that you read it right and got the rhyme! and I got yours too!! Tee he he
    Just can't wait to get my chest freezer now. Brother should be moving out next week and taking his stuff from the shed so freezer can go in there!

13. babycham2002

Ah I havent had the pleasure of tripe yet, that'll be introduced week after next.
    I don't mind kidneys at all, can even hold them barehand while I portion them up. But livers still a bit ewww.
    When I defrosted the heart yesterday I wasn't sure if I was gonna chicken out and just give it to Willow whole but when I started on it and realised just how meaty it was I was fine.

Whats the best method for tripe do you think? A lot say feed it part frozen. Where do you get yours from? The dog food co?

14. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Liver is definitely ew. I thought nothing could bother me after the amount of dissections I've had to do but that's one thing that always makes me gag. I feed tripe partially frozen because it's the only way he'll eat it. I get it on bulk order with some other raw feeders not sure where they get it

15. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

Tripe is fine frozen (smell wise) as long as you don't get it everywhere. I like to cut it up frozen to semi-frozen into meal sized portions (a sharp knife plus a rolling pin will get you through it if it's frozen), and as long as you wash your hands thoroughly (wouldn't advise smelling them after you've finished cutting the tripe though) it's fine. Then just let it defrost if you want to feed it thawed, voila, un-smelly tripe! Pixel has his tripe frozen, thawed and semi-frozen: it just depends on how forgetful I've been on the day before. I do like to feed it thawed, but he has had it straight out of the freezer and only semi-thawed before.

Just don't let your dogs kiss you for an hour or two afterwards. ;)

16. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Tripe flavoured kisses *shudders*

17. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

They're not nice- I assure you.

The other half came home from work about a month ago, and of course Pixel went over to say hello: to which the other half let him kiss him. He pulled away after the first lick, turned around to me and asked if he'd had tripe today for breakfast. Of course he hadn't had it for his breakfast, he was in the process of eating it for his tea. ;)

Hasn't let him kiss him since unless he's sure he hasn't had tripe for dinner!

18. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I love the smell of tripe, it smells like cows, ironically. :D

I'm very impressed you managed to get all that in one drawer!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice