Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A very specific problem!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Dogless, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I have a problem with Kilo trying to hump labradors. Not just any labradors, but specifically black or chocolate ones. Other breeds of dog and fox red and yellow labs are safe from his attentions.

This evening Kilo was playing on the field with his vizsla friend when a black lab came tearing over and Kilo immediately tried to hump him. This has also happened a few times within the last fortnight - the labs have always come tearing over and he has always immediately tried to hump. It does not make any difference whether they are dogs or bitches.

When he was younger he would sometimes try to hump dogs out of pure over excitement when play got a little too exuberant, which stopped quite a few months ago (probably about 6).

It sounds a little odd, but the only 'lab related' incidents that I can recall was the black lab that came tearing over and knocked him down around 3 weeks ago (I think) or (more likely maybe) the two chocolate labs that tear over on a regular basis, one of which who was in season a fortnight or so ago and gave us problems.

When he shows any signs of wanting to hump he will 'leave it' if asked but just tries again and again if left offlead. At present I put his lead on and remove him from the dog. If the owner is willing and he is let off again, he tries again straight away. He gives up immediately if one of his victims growls or gives an air snap and doesn't attempt anything again.

At present we don't meet labs whose owners ask if they can play; they all come running over - if the owners asked me I would probably ask that they don't play or are introduced calmly (and explain why) until I can get to grips with this behaviour so Kilo doesn't get the chance to rehearse it.

Any advice?

2. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

I have no advice.:eek:

But I will be interested in the answer as the only dog Craven humps is a black flat coated retriever named Ryan.:eek:

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Toby always seems to go for chocolate/black Labs although he did take a particular fancy to Golden Shadows Rupert :hand:

I think he gets so over excited but with Toby he seems to like the boys best! :D

He half heartedly tried to have a go on Roxy after they had been tearing around the garden but soon backed off after she gave him 'her look'!!!

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Do you want to borrow Indie, she's the humper not the humpee generally speaking, could be interesting :D

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

He doesn't object when dogs hump him when overexcited...so would just be like twister I suppose :eek: :w00t:. Mind you, if she told him off....he wouldn't try again.

6. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Oh yes, she definitely doesn't do *humped*, she's very nice about it, and unfortunately would lead him on to the point where she had to tell him politely that humping is not allowed!!

7. TheFredChallenge

TheFredChallenge PetForums Member

Ha ha, "labs come running /tearing over" now there's a surprise. Glad it's not just mine then (although he's been in my bad books and back on the extendable for a day or so doing his absconding) but I did think it was reassuring that it's not just mine.

I should be grateful; at least he's yellow :D ;)

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Has he learnt it from some very exuberant labs as a form of 'stress release' perhaps? He tends to lie down / look away / approach dogs that he doesn't know (or wait for them to approach him whilst lying down) quite cautiously and most of these labs ignore all calming signals and steam in full of friendly enthusiasm...perhaps this may have something to do with it?

Clutching at straws maybe but would like to stop it!

9. leashedForLife

precisely what U just said -

CALL to the owner of an off-leash black or liver Lab, ASK her or him to leash their dog & have a calm intro;
    explain he has a problem with black & liver Labs, U don't have to explain it in detail, just that he gets
    overwhelmed by loose dogs who rush him, & especially of those colors / that breed. ;)

most folks are thrilled to help a dog's training, especially if U point out how much U appreciate their help,
    how frustrating it's been, etc, etc.
    it's a common response from young males who don't know what else to do, ATM - over-excited,
    or even possibly confused, a bit scared or anxious... humping is the Go-To choice for displacement.

many Labs in the public-shelters will clamp onto the legs of volunteer-walkers & hump -
    it's arousal, anxiety, the stress of the noisy kennel & all the strange dogs, ANTICIPATION of getting out,
    & so on, & they just latch on & start pumping; luckily, most are easily removed & can be dissuaded,
    altho some are very persistent. OLDER MALES who clamp & hump must be carefully assessed! Some bite
    if anyone tries to remove them from their current love-object, so it isn't always an innocent fling,
    or simple displacement - with some dogs, it's bossy & controlling.
    'enthusiasm', eh? :p is THAT what U call it?... :lol: i just call it 'rude dogs'.

i'd use classic DS/CC, such as Open-Bar / Closed-Bar, & polite cautious intros.
    'Click to Calm' is an excellent DIY for any & all reactive issues.

Dogless likes this.
  10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Thank you; I will try and control these interactions as I had thought that would be the answer; the problem is that I nearly always see the dog before the owner gets onto the field (as tonight).

I suspect that it may be rooted in anxiety a little as even a novice like me can watch the calming signals he uses to an unknown dog / or dogs approaching very fast and head on; when they are ignored I think it triggers the humping response. Just curious that it is always labs although the labs here are very, very exuberant!

Humour aside, I did want to check that I wasn't missing anything blindingly obvious. Luckily Kilo doesn't try to hump other dogs / objects/ people etc so I am hoping that I can try and sort the problem out.

11. leashedForLife

that makes it really difficult - i hope U can get it sorted soon.

teaching him to fly to YOU as soon as he sees an off-leash dog barreling toward him, then YOU body-block
    the over-enthusiastic nutcase, is another option. ;) Let him hide behind U, :lol:
    anxiety over rude greetings that are too full-on & may turn threatening is very understandable -

imagine a total stranger who approaches us at a trot while we stand at a bus-stop, grabs both our hands
    & pulls us [despite our obvious unwillingness] close to her/him, then kisses both our cheeks resoundingly...
    and after wishing us a good-day, walks off. :eek: :blink: What the H*** was that, :lol:

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I will try getting him to come to me; he does tend (most of the time) to lie down, only getting up when the other dog reaches him although didn't today as he was playing with the vizsla. I did notice that he broke off play to go and sniff about when he saw the other dog en route, which I also took as a calming gesture.

13. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Do you think the way he was with Florence was for the same reason? Obviously they met under much calmer circumstances than with the Labs you talk about, but he was very interested in her :confused: or maybe she's just beautiful ;)

14. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Sorry cant help, but at least Woody is safe:D:D:D

15. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

No; I was thinking about that and it was totally different as she is calm and well mannered - and he behaved entirely differently, he doesn't show much 'interest' in these labs - not much sniffing etc, just tries to hump straight away and no playing or anything like that as he did with Florence. It has nearly always been labs though (with the exception of Sailor - but that was sheer over excitement as Sailor would try to hump too).

When he was trying it with Florence was when he was going through the sort of 'over excitement' humping when he was much younger that I talked about in my first post.

It's very hard to describe, but is quite different behaviour; and he stopped it 6 months or so ago now.

16. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Thinking about it, I would like to know too.

Ted used to hump male choc labs, never bothered with bitches:rolleyes: just male choc Labs:confused::confused::confused:

17. Kiwi

Kiwi PetForums VIP

:001_tt1:Maybe your dog isn't the problem and that it has more to do with black lab genes? Boo was an embarrasment in the puppy parties at the vets because she would just rollover on her back for her rottie; dane; and mastiff boyfriends to sniff and lick her all over. She went into ecsatsy if they licked her nether regions, in particular :crazy: :001_tt2:

...But this is nothing compared with what she does to her teddy :eek: :001_unsure: (how do female pups learn how to hump like a dog???!??)

Attached Files:

18. choclabwoody

choclabwoody PetForums Member

My poor Woody is not safe then I will have to keep him indoors...:eek:

19. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

As these Labs that Kilo humps are so over excited and a little bit 'out of control' it could a bid by Kilo to slow them down and get a little bit of control of them and the situation. Sort've a way to teach them some manners.....a role that young entire males often take up.:D
    I can imagine that Kilo isn't the only young male to do this to these particular Labs. If you get the chance it would be interesting to ask their owners if other dogs hump them;).
    Some dogs seem to invite humping in the way they behave and actually enjoy it as if it is all part of some game plan.:D

20. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

That is interesting; a few of the owners just laugh and say that dogs always do it to their labs and I did assume it was the full on approach that triggered things.

He used to hump when play got too exciting and it was a sort of game as the dogs used to come back for more and invite it, as you say, plus hump Kilo too. This type of humping at present just seems to be an attempt to calm himself or, as you say, control things a little.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice