Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A stink problem with my 9 week old kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by simpleprincess, Jul 23, 2009.

1. simpleprincess

simpleprincess PetForums Newbie

I have a 9 week old kitten I got him a week ago but whenever I pick him up or hes near me he emmits a nasty smell like a fart? I dont know why he is doing this? its stinky as anything .hes clean and uses his litter tray hes fed whiskas jelly pouches for kittens but slowly switching to hills science dry food for kittens.Is it normal for kittens to do this? hes quite active and playful and doesnt seem sickly at all. his feaces are normal no runniness.I dont get it, hes like a skunk. Is it something he will grow out of? its quite vile those nasty slient farts. His pooh is icky but thats just poo its removed form the litter tray daily. Is it the food do you recommend another type of food I should give him? Please bear in mind im in the uk incase you are replying from abroad.

2. Nerge

Nerge PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I'm definitely no expert as my cat is arriving at the end of the week, but from what i've read and from the advice of people on this board the whiskas may be to blame.

It seem a high quality wet food is best (at least 50%+ real meat), something like Applause, Almo Nature, Porta 21, Hi-Life etc etc.
    That's my plan anyway, along with a good quality dry food (applause 80% meat version).

I think their diet can have a big effect on the results at the other end, low quality in > low quality out the other end, so to speak, so worth trying. :)

Edit: Just to add, I'm in the UK too and you should be able to get these foods from some supermarkets (hi-life) or from places like pets at home or online from zooplus etc.

#2 Nerge, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  3. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

Hiya, one of my fur babies does this too!!!

All 6 of mine are fed the same food (Whiskas Kitten Dry and Felix Kitten wet) yet its only Sops that acts like a skunk!

Sorry I have no advice, but your not alone!

4. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

I vote that the whiskers is the problem, it's filled with fillers & animal derivitives use a better quality food.

5. Riverwish

Riverwish PetForums Member

Oscar was on whiskas at the shelter, he farted looooads for the first couple of days having him home. Now he's on hilife & tesco 50% pouches and he hasn't done it for a few days :) Little stinker

6. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

I've had my kitten for 2 weeks now and he's not smelt one bit :D
    he's on pro plan kitten development which is a dry food.

7. lady_r0gue

lady_r0gue PetForums Senior

My 10 week kittens and 9 year old dog are both prone to flatulence - with the kittens it's offensive, with the dog it's eye-watering and can clear a room in seconds [​IMG]I've found a strict diet of dry food for a couple of days sorts it out!

8. lady_r0gue

lady_r0gue PetForums Senior

My 10 week kittens and 9 year old dog are both prone to flatulence - with the kittens it's offensive, with the dog it's eye-watering and can clear a room in seconds [​IMG]I've found a strict diet of dry food for a couple of days sorts it out!

9. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

I've got cats ranging from 9 weeks to 12 years old and i must say since they have been on Natures menu Adult / kitten i've had absolutely NO gruffing problems :D :blush2: :thumbup1:

10. kingston

kingston PetForums Junior

I'm no expert but i was told that kittens poo and flatulence can be smelly but that this changes once they get a bit older and this was certainly the case with our 11 month old Isabella who now doesn't smell at all. It will be interesting to see if its the same with the new kitten.

11. poshmog

poshmog PetForums Member

I would guess its the whisker's ,it had the same effect on some of mine ,in fact I have one that it comes out as fast as it goes in !!!

They are all fed raw now ,and the smells are nowhere near as pungent,and they enjoy their food ,with no waste :)

12. simpleprincess

simpleprincess PetForums Newbie

I stopped the whiskas 3 days ago but he still emits nasty smelly farts its gross and puts me off spending time with him, hes so potently stinky. I have him still hills science just to finish it off before I look through what you guys recomend.

13. Leah100

Leah100 PetForums Senior

He's only 9 weeks old, would still be feeding from Mum if he was with her, his system is very immature, and has had to cope with being weaned, leaving Mum, and then having a change of diet, all in a very short amount of time. It's never really a good idea to change a kitten's food too quickly, especially one so young who is coping with so many changes at the same time.
    Give him a bit of time, try him on plain cooked chicken for a couple of meals, and then if you are going to try changing food again, do it very gradually by mixing it in in slowly increasing amounts with the food he's having at the moment.
    If he hasn't had vaccs yet, then he is due now at 9 weeks, and you could talk this over with the vet when you see them to be sure he is well before starting them and also discuss any other issues like worming etc for the future.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice