Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A silly question - summer and harnesses

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, May 1, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I feel like this is a silly question but McKenzie was a winter puppy so I'm not sure about this.

She has a fleece harness (dog games), but I'm wondering if she's going to get too hot in this in summer and if I need a different one? Obviously I won't be taking her out in the heat of the day, but I don't know if she would still be too hot in it.

2. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Fleece is a very warm materiel and young Mckenzie already has a warm coat, so I would have been thinking the same if it was my dog/harness... so don`t feel silly :p

With harnesses just being made up of thin straps (unless the one youhave is more like a coat ?), personally I wouldnt have thought it would get too warm for a dog to wear one in summer.
    But if you felt she was feeling/acting too hot while wearing the fleece harness, I would change it.

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

This is the harness she's got, there's a fair bit of fleece on it I think

Attached Files:

4. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

ooo that is alot of harness for a little body isnt it

Is all that padding to make it comftable on little bodies ??

Personally, I would keep her coat trimmed to keep her cool and stick with that harness, but ofcourse, if she looks uncomftable in the heat wearing it, get a different harness to use for hot days :D

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Funny that they use a itailan greyhound to advertise them as Buck and Willow both have that harness or one similar. They came with the 2 foster whippets but no way they would fit them so the boys have had them.

My 2 are very fine coated so I will be sticking with them in the summer they will only be going out in the morning and late at night when it is cooler

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Not silly.

Bella has a fleexy harness for when it's cooler.

in the summer she wears this one

[​IMG]

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I will be clipping her, but worry that early morning/evening she will be too hot under the fleece.

I might look and see if I can find another one that is just webbing.

Anyone got recommendations, preferably for one that doesn't go over her head?

8. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

as she's quite small, the fleece may cover a lot of her body. I use a fleece harness with Ollie, but it doesn't take up that much space on his body so he doesn't get hot at all.

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yeah, it really covers a lot of her body.

I'll find a cooler one for her :)

10. kimdelyse

kimdelyse PetForums Senior

Flo has a Puppia which is fab, and although not fleece also covers a lot of the body. For quick walks I've just been using the collar and leash as I had the same concern as you. I will have to get a summer harness though as he has a habbit of running right to the end of the leash on "fun walks" (beach, park...) and I worry about his tiny neck! :eek: Which is why I had to get a harness in the first place. So keep us posted if you find a goodun!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice