Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A sad day!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, May 13, 2010.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

We have lived in this house for 30+ years and have never had woodpeckers around us.Until this year that is and we've had 2 types which we were realy pleased about.Now the tree they come to (at the back of our place) is being chopped down.:(

2. jen24

jen24 Banned

Aww no, i love woodpeckers. cant you petition or complain about it? maybe get it stopped? thats so sad.:(

3. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Too late now almost half of it has gone.:(

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Oh gosh, thats horrid.

I had never heard a woodpecker until a couple of years ago and that's 50 odd years of living in the country. Sadly I heard them close to where I kept my horse and as he is no more, I will have to keep my ears pinned back while I am walking Heidi and I may just be lucky again.

I dont know what to say other than agree that it is sad :(

5. rona

rona Guest

:mad: Trees shouldn't be cut at this time of year :(

6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

oh no, how sad.:(:( We have woodpeckers in our garden, as we back on to fields and trees we have alot of lovely birds in the garden,
    Is it me, or are there less sparrows about, when i was a kid,( along time ago :eek: ) you used to see hundreds of sparrows, i very rarely see them now :confused:..:confused:

7. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw thats awful :(

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

We still get sparrows and starlings,woodpigeons and doves ect.:D
    I know it sounds a bit corny but both hubby and i were getting use to the noise the woodpeckers made.Its almost like they are laughing at you.lol:D

9. colliemerles

i wish i had a better camera so i could take pictures of them in the garden, put my camera is rubbish, :(
    at the moment the little birds, ( think there blue tits not to clever at naming them,) come down and pick up all the dog fur in the lurchers kennels and fly off with it, guess they are using it in there nests,:D

10. rona

rona Guest

House sparrows have been in decline for years, they are now on the RSPB red list :(

The RSPB: House sparrow

11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Aww, that is sad. Maybe they had to cut down the tree.:(
    My parents are cutting down a big silver birch in their garden. You cant see from over the fence but it is becoming rotten round the bottom and nobody wants a tree through their living room.:D
    At least you got to experience the woodpeckers for one year.;)

12. colliemerles

thanks for that Rona, but how sad,:(.......poor little sparrows.

13. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Oh hells, House Sparrows are in the Red now? Its been a long time since I've seen House Sparrows. I knew they were in decline but never dreamed it had gotten that bad!

There has been the odd woodpecker (usually Great Spotted) come into the garden to have a snack on the peanut feeder! They seem to be rather shy birds, as they don't stay for long.

I hate it when I see a tree being cut down. Most of the time its just for aesthetic-looking purposes which I feel is just a waste. I'd understand if the tree was diseased or dead, but not because "it was in the way" :( poor woodpeckers!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice