Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A really stupid question

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kitty_pig, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

I know this is going to sound very stupid of me but I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. My kitten is nearly five weeks old and I am going to visit her tomorrow. Is it safe for me to pick her up or will it upset her mum?

Sorry if this is totally daft i just dont want to upset kitty or her mum xxx

2. Donskie

Donskie PetForums Member

My advise would be to ask the breeder. I don't usually let people come and visit that early but if I did it would be shoes left at the door, antibacterial on hands etc and no other visitors for 24-48 hours to reduce any risks of infections. It is only me that handles our kittens for the first few weeks, didn't know what Willow was going to be like with other people as it was her first litter. Plus she only came to me the whole time throughout her pregnancy.

3. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

Thank you, I will prob just look and not touch then to make sure :)

4. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

when i first saw jack my seal bi he was four weeks old and the breeder let me pick him up but i had already washed my hands and left my shoes at the front door

5. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

depends on a few factors, but mainly being the mum cat, when people come to mine and they always ask first about picking up the kitten I either pass or just say of course lol!

They are always shocked that mum doesnt seem to mind, but then I know my cats, however Id go by mum if she was worried Id say to leave it etc :)

6. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

can't believe I didnt reply to this, thank you for all the advice, I admitt I couldn't help it, my shoes were off and I held her :blush: she is already very cuddly and quite affectionate, despite being a bit scared of her own shadow lol xxxx

7. CandyApocalypse

CandyApocalypse PetForums Member

Awww, it won't be long till she's home :)

I know how you felt though, I went to see our new kitten recently and didn't know whether to hold her or not as I was so worried about passing on something to her etc. Mind you, the kids were all passing her around as they came in the door, so I guess she's probably used to germs etc.

8. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

My friends two children are handling the kittens, she has taught them to wash their hands before and after so at least she will be used to being handled. Can't wait to bring her home :D

9. popsy17

popsy17 PetForums Newbie

Aww how sweet ;) good luck with your new kitty, i know the excitement is just overwhelming and sounds to me as if ure going to make a very good cat mum

10. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

Thank you Popsy the suspense is killing me, I got to see her again tonight and I am totally in love :001_wub::001_wub:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice