Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A raw food dilemma

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by LittleEms, Feb 25, 2021.

1. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

Hi all, hoping someone can help!

I’m switching my two kittens over to Luna & Me raw food and they’re loving it so far (we are on day 3 of 10 day transition). My only potential problem is that twice a week I have to leave them during the middle of the day. They usually have a meal at 12 which is put down in a timed feeder at 8am, so it’s left for 4 hours. I’ve messaged the company about this and the basic said they can’t recommend I leave raw down for that long even with an ice pack and they also can’t recommend I give them a packet of their usual food at that feed either. (Wet food only, a gi one.)

Eventually they will be on 2 or 3 feeds a day but they are still kittens (6 months) at the moment and get fed 5 times a day. I will also be working from home at some point in the future when I change jobs but that is a way off yet. Any ideas for the meantime? I am really keen to have them on the raw food because of their digestion issues. Will having a regular wet food at 12 (4 hours either side for their other meals) cause a horrible issue twice a week?

2. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

There are members who give a mix of raw and commercial wet food. I no longer feed raw as my boy has gone off it, but don't see a problem putting wet in the feeder on the days you are away.

3. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Member

I mix raw and commercial wet food for my 2 kitties, who are approx 8 months and 1.5yrs. I feed raw at 8am, a commercial food eg bozita/simpsons/ wild freedom/almo etc at 1.30pm ish when I get in from work and then a smaller raw meal again at 5.30pm and finally 10pm. Seems to work OK for us.

4. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Member

So today's plan is
    8am - they've just had minced chicks
    1.30- they've have an almo pouch each
    5.30- they'll have a small amount of poached fish with us
    10pm - purrform later

The adult females poos are now perfect! The 8 month old kittens are still a bit softer and splattier (is that a word?!) I'm gonna try a little ground bone meal in his homemade meals to firm them up a bit more!

5. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I like that word you coined!:D
    So descriptive!!:Hilarious

6. Pepperpots

Pepperpots PetForums Senior

If you put the food in the timed feeder when it’s still frozen, with an ice pack if needed, it should be defrosted but still cold.

7. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

Thanks all for the replies! I overthink stuff like this so I will try the pouches for now and see how that goes. With any luck in a month or so I’ll be at home working so it won’t be a problem :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice