Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A question to all parents. Re internet safety for children

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ad_1980, May 15, 2010.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Just a question
    i remember watching an episode of Supernanny USA and in an episode she told the parents to make sure they know their kids passwords and all that.

So this is my question.

do you know your kids passwords to their emails/social networking sites? if so how often do you 'check' them?

2. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

yes I do and they also cant access the net unless they are in the lounge while I am there. Bit strict I am but would rather be that then grieving :)

3. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Not a parent but I got my first email when I was 9 I think. My dad set it all up for me and I was so proud to have one lol.

As far as I'm aware my parents have never looked at any of my emails or networking sites. 1. My mom doesn't know how to use a computer 2. My dad couldn't be arsed because I have 4 email addresses. I think I would find it a big invasion of my privacy if they had wanted to know.

4. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Very wise move, its a shame more parents aren't like that.:D

5. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

My mum knows all my passwords as she regularly pops onto my mail to check for herself as she didn't have her own and she sometimes goes on my Facebook too and of course she comes on here using mine which is permanently logged in :lol:

6. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Good for you! If my two girls were still children, that's exactly how I would be as well! As it is they have both left home and run their own lives. But both are sensible where the internet is concerned.

7. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I don't know their passwords, but they can only access sites that we deem appropriate and in our presence. It may seem strict but having taught internet safety in the classroom and discovered what some of our year 6s get up to, I'm happy to be draconian in this respect.

O/h is an IT geek so may well know the passwords - we chack histrory aswell, although they have learnt pretty quickly how easy it is to delete!

They don't go on facebook or msn. We may allow eldest facebook soon, but it will be so tightly monitored.

8. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I have their passwords I set there profiles up.... I go on and check everyday I go onto mine.. LOL I have developed the kids fB Farmville to my own advantage.. hahah

9. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I didnt have the internet till I was about 15, and I only managed to get that cusi used the homework excuse lol, so by then I was old enough and wise enough to be sensible, but my parents never knocked so they used to come n see what i was looking at (computer was in my bedroom).

My little brother (now 12) isnt allowed a facebook, myspace, msn etc yet. i may talk to mum about letting him have one as he feels really left out (all his friends have one), and help him set one up n give mum his password. He can always use her email (as he doesnt have one) so she gets all the notifications.

10. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

Same but they are on my account so they have to access through my account which means I have to be around to get them on it,:thumbup:

11. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

i check all my kids emails etc. they know i do it... just not when i do it. if ever there was an issue with me having their passwords while they are still kids... their internet time would be terminated! we have a pc in the kitchen (this is where we spend most of our time) and the kids know which sites they can go on etc and they are only allowed when i am in the room!

imo.. it would be dangerous NOT to monitor your kids internet activity these days x

12. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Don't let kids use Facebook, Bebo or MSN full stop. A good forum is much safer and there are moderators if you need help... :yesnod:

13. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Ben has his own computer in his bedroom but at 17 I don't check his emails although he does tend to use my email address rather than his own anyway or he does for things such as his motorbike insurance.

When they were at high school they had their own email address through the school which were all screened by the schools main computer. He's just told me that they do at college too.

When he was younger we did monitor what he was doing on the internet. He wasn't allowed the pc in his room then.

14. Miss.PuddyCat

Why not MSN :confused1:

15. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

My parents never had our passwords or really paid that much attention to what we did on the computer... I think they just trusted us not to do anything stupid as its common sense not to talk to people you don't know.

If I have children one day I will be watching them like a hawk though :D

16. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

It's just as easy to get involved with nutcases as any other social-networking website... Singing:

17. Miss.PuddyCat

Ok before I get anymore confused are you talking about the msn messenger or some other msn mombo jombo . Cause with the messenger just don't add people you don't know.

18. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

A lot of kids don't know that, hence why we hear of so many problems... Singing:

19. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

My parents used to know my passwords, and I didn't have facebook until I turned 16, and was in my last year of school. They no longer know my passwords or anything, but most things I do goes through the parents first.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice