Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A question that's probably stupid

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by ad_1980, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ignore me if it is...but do you have to be fit to do agility. Not the dog, me.

I would love to try Mika at agility when he's 18 months old because he does love a good run around and i imagine he'd enjoy it. If i ever get a licence to drive i can drive him to our nearest agilty club. But the one thing i worry about is my fitness level...i see owners running with their dogs on agility and i have to say im not exactly a good runner.

2. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

time to start getting your own fitness level up a few notchs then :smilewinkgrin:

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ok so me and agility wouldn't be a good idea then.

Its not just my fitness level...i have a mild case of cerebral palsy so me running around with my dog like that would probably not be good for me LOL.

Such a shame I've always wanted to do agility

4. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

Well, I just went to my first agility class 2 weeks ago with Monty & it required jogging around with him. The jumps are lowered down & we all had to jump over them with our dogs the first couple of times, but they were pretty low, so it wasn't difficult. I reckon once you can handle a moderate amount of exercise, it should be fine, but I'm not too sure! I'm only starting my second class tomorrow, so I might be of more help then!! Sorry I couldn't answer your question properly.:blushing:

5. AllstarsFlyballTeam

AllstarsFlyballTeam PetForums Newbie

Hi

You have to have a relative degree of fitness but alot of this depends on how fast your dog is around the course.

Once your training progresses there is no reason why you can't stand in the middle and direct your dog around the course using commands, however to get to this point you will have to run a bit in the initial stages of the training.

I am overweight and have no hope in hell of keeping up with 3 fast collies, however I do my best and I concentrate on teaching distance work so that I don't have to keep up with them around the course. I also compete in flyball which is miles easier, no running involved for the handler :)

Christina
    Allstars Flyball Team
    ALLSTARS FLYBALL TEAM - Home

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You should be OK with mild cerebral palsy. I know of several people in their 70's and 80's doing agility, one person with an artificial leg and several who are so overwieight, or have other health problems, they can't run much. There is no rule forbidding the handler from using a mobility scooter in a competition ring, I've seen it done. It takes a while to get the dog to run well at a distance from you, but it can be done, lots of people do it.
    Try to get fitter yourself as well. It will be better for your general health as well as being more fun for Mika.

7. Dundee

Dundee Banned

While there is a bit of running, don't let that stop you. Agility can be done at all levels and as has been said, the better your control and directions, the less running around you have to do anyway.
    Good luck and have fun.

8. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Dundee what a great post ,i know people who are "older" that do agility,i also know someone who had polio as a child that agility trains and they manage ok
    i would suggest the OP contacted a local club and asks if they can go and give it a try
    Good luck i hope you get to agility train,

9. Beardy

Beardy PetForums Member

Anyone can do agility, it's not the winning, it's the taking part that counts. I have seen ladies compete in wheelchairs, don't worry, have fun!

10. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

GO for it!!!!, You don't need to be very fit or speedy.
    I know some one with walking difficulties, she has trained her dog to go ahead and she takes the short cut to the next obstacle.:)
    It obviously helps to be fast in competitions, however it all depends at what level you compete or if you compete at all I know lots of people who do agility but don't enter competitions;)

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone :)

Hopefully within a year i will have a car and a licence to drive so i'll be able to take him to agility classes aat 18 months old :) he does love running around like a headless chicken - lol - agility would be great for him :) I have no intention of doing agility for competing - i'd have to giving him the poodle cut for showing him at agility otherwise and i don't want that anyway lol. I just want it to be for fun :) It looks fun too :)

12. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I notice you are in Surrey. Where abouts are you? you may find a club nearby. It may be worth going along and watching and meeting the other members. You don't have to give a show cut for agility, only if you are showing. As said, there are all levels of agility - many people never compete, but just enjoy spending time with their dogs and having fun.

13. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Nearst club near me is Wallington...iid need a car lol!

14. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I really want to do agility but as soon as I try to run my knees just go and I fall. I'm hoping it won't hold me back from doing it though. Blu has been trying to break the world record for running since he could walk. He just needs to figure out how to stop running instead of just hoping he will stop ;)

15. WIBBLE1001

WIBBLE1001 PetForums Newbie

If you want to try it..... try it!!! - I remember watching someone at Crufts who (for whatever reason) was very stiff and had trouble moving the course, and he and his dog had a great time. One day I hope me and my dog might be as good as them. Good Luck :001_tt2:

16. Sylvestris Kennels

Sylvestris Kennels PetForums Senior

I agree - you see lots of people who don't move too well round the course - it all depends want you want to achieve. Why not give it a go and see what happens, certainly plenty of others work on this basis.

17. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Hope you all go ahead and try agility,i agility train with Jack and we have a great time,some people where i train cant run fast at all but they still train and dogs and owners have a good time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice