Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A question for pussy cat experts, please.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by newfiesmum, Feb 22, 2017.

1. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

As most of you know, I am first and foremost a doggie person, but despite that, I have always had a cat as well. Some of you may remember that I took in a two year old cat about five years ago from a home where she was being fed, but nothing else. She wasn't allowed in the bedrooms, the kitchen or anywhere else. They shut her out at night so that she didn't bring in mice and kept throwing her out.

Anyway, I kept her in for two weeks when I first got her, during which time she wouldn't come near me or anyone else. By the end of the fortnight she was quite wild so I had no real choice but to let her out.

Since then I have moved house four times and never kept her in. My daughter, who is a vet nurse, tells me that cats bond to places rather than people and it is very unusual. The first time we moved, it was very hot weather and I had the window open. She escaped out of it and I really thought I had lost her, but she came back. The same thing happened on subsequent moves; she went out straight away and came back.

I moved again last Saturday, and once again, she took herself off and returned. Does she know where her bread's buttered or what?

2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

You're very lucky you haven't lost her I think.

Cats get back to their homes using known features and scents. Which they don't have in a new place.

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

She sounds like a pretty street wise cat who likes to go out and scout around her new territory, but knows where to get her home comforts too!

newfiesmum likes this.
  4. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I know. I really didn't expect her to come back that first time, but she did and always has. Very odd.

5. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Maybe she just doesn't go very far?

6. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

No, she never goes far from me. She also never crosses the road; if she goes out the front at all, she stays near the house wherever we have lived. In fact, she only usually goes out the front to greet me if I have been out. I think it might be that because she spent her first two years being excluded from the house for various ridiculous reasons, she has come to know her way about more than a cat who has been kept inside as a kitten. Whatever it is, I am very flattered!

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

My cats moved 6 times with us in the space of a 4 year period and apart from when we had to stay temporarily with my mum for a week (between houses) and one escaped out of the window and went to our old house about 1/4 mile away we had no problems at all.

They were kept in for a couple of weeks each move and then allowed out during the day, as normal. No dramas.

I would say that our cats were very much bonded to us and not places.

lorilu likes this.
  8. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

That's my point; Betsy has never been kept in. When we were moving in here, my grandson panicked because she found the catflap and disappeared out of it, but she came straight back once they had stopped moving things about.

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I think they know what side their bread is buttered ;)

newfiesmum likes this.
  10. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I don't believe cats are bonded to places rather than people and I'm sure Betsy just knows where her home comforts are.

Lurcherlad and newfiesmum like this.
  11. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I'm very pleased I haven't had to keep her in as she really hates that. When I first got her, as I said she wouldn't come near me. We were in a house then and I kept her dirt tray and food in my bedroom and just let her take her time. Once she did go out, she came and went through the window as she wouldn't come downstairs because she didn't like the look of Ferdie and Diva. But, when we moved to a bungalow, I think she realised that if she wanted to sleep on my bed, she had to put up with the dogs because they slept in my room as well! She was always fine with them after that.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

As a child we had a cat called Tigga who used to come to our caravan in Wales with us. It was on a secluded rural site and he had a wonderful time running wild through the woods and joining us for walks. We would also take him in the car to days out at the local river, and he came on another caravan holiday with us, though again to a quiet place with few cars. Perhaps my parents were crazy, but he always came back to us and knew to come when he was called to get in the car. Though I wouldn't take the chance with my cats, Tigga's adventures were wonderful for him and he had such adventures. He was a very streetwise cat which probably helped - found as a tiny starving kitten on a rubbish dump, grew into a huge fat spoilt. ginger tom (neutered) who was dead ard.

I think domestic cats like their jaunts, but they like a soft bed, guaranteed food and a human to cuddle and talk to.

AmsMam, Lurcherlad and newfiesmum like this.
  13. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

That is a lovely story. Betsy is the second cat I have had who behaves more like a dog in a lot of ways and it sounds like your Tigga did as well.

Emmasian likes this.
  14. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Certainly does sound like Betsy knows which side her breads buttered! She obviously had a horrible start in life in her prior home, and just doesn't want to wander far.

Lurcherlad and newfiesmum like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice