Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A question for our welsh members

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Apr 6, 2011.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Can anyone tell me when and why the Welsh language began to die out?
    I have been watching "How green was my valley",now i know its based on a novel but when the young lad went to school he was told he must only speak English.Which got me thinking,did this kind of thing happen?:confused:

2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

My two went to a Welsh school and learnt through the medium of Welsh - they were not allowed to speak any English :nono: if they were caught speaking English then they had a telling off or a detention if they persisted :blink: All schools in Wales have to teach Welsh, it is part of the curriculum from a young age ;)

Welsh was the first language back then and in some parts of Wales there are people that still do not have much grasp of the English language, when my girls argue they fly into Welsh !!!!!

So please when you are visiting Wales, if people are speaking Welsh around you, remember - some are not being ignorant it is all they understand ;)

3. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

All countries with minority populations have tried to force their language and traditions on them.The Basques and Mongolians being two in recent history.
    The Mongolians in particular have completely reintroduced their language after years of it being banned under Communism.

4. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Was there ever a time tashi when Welsh wasn't taught in schools,or forbidden?
    For me personaly i love to hear the Welsh speaking,its such a homely sounding language.:D

5. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Yes I think there was but many moons ago, for most it was their first language and I suppose they were taught through the medium of English in school and very much like it is now in the Welsh schools the opposing language being used was frowned upon. We were taught through both mediums when I went through school but think my parents were just taught English.

The dogs are bi-lingual as well :lol:

6. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Thanks for that tashi.I will have to do some research i think,which should keep me busy.:D:D

7. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Certainly is an interesting one, one that I have never even thought about just took for granted that we were quite a bi-lingual society :eek:, when the girls were out in the USA handling dogs it was quite a thing for the Americans to ask them to speak Welsh to them, at one show, when the three of us were over there, they even found and played the Welsh National Anthem for us. :D

8. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

I went to a welsh junior school but they spoke english if that makes sense, welsh was the only language we were taught.

When i went to secondary school then welsh wasnt as much of a necessity to learn, you could learn any language.

I cannot speak welsh which i am embarrassed about but my family didnt speak welsh only my "grandma" so i was brought up with english.

I learnt welsh all through my school years but still cannot speak it or understand it, i just could not grasp it at all.

I do believe it depends where you live to whether you would speak welsh in my opinion, i was brought up and lived for many years in cardiff which is a city of course. but if you were brought up in the valleys or in a small village it was more common to speak the welsh language.

These days you dont hear about the welsh language, i think S4C is still going but cant see it being around for long, it is very sad as wales has a lot of welsh speakers im sure, just not any from where i live, more up where tashi lives. :D:D:D

9. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

10. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Didnt realise you were a Cardiff girl Kath, my mother was a Cardiff girl - Clark's Pies ;)

11. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

Yes hun cardiff girl through and through!! :D:D:D

And do you know what, i have never tried a clark's pie!! :eek::eek:

12. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Have to remedy that sometime then :lol: should have brought you some when you were in Bridgend

13. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Thanks for that Janice makes interesting reading - you must really pop down South sometime will show you the delights of all the Welsh museums and all of them FREE

14. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

Absolutely Jan, me and tashi will come and meet up with you and we can take you out for lunch xx

15. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

In that case it would have to be FREE Clark's pies lmao x

16. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Welsh Not - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lived in Wales all my life, I don't speak the language due to the fact that nobody in my family speaks Welsh and it wasn't taught in junior school, although did some in earlier years in comp. Languages aren't my thing :eek:

I'm not embarrassed because I can't speak Welsh, still fiercely patriotic and don't think it makes me any less Welsh cos I don't speak the language ... which has been hinted at by RL peeps :rolleyes::

Do find some peeps (not all ;)) are snobbish about speaking it, quite rude in fact when one person who I used to call a friend would deliberately cut me out of a conversation to speak Welsh to another Welsh speaker and flippantly talks about being "pure blood" :blink:

17. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

ooooo yeah Jan, I got Cadw membership so we could troop through some castles as well :D

18. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Tashi i keep saying we will have to visit South Wales,but i'm a bit of a stick in the mud to be totaly honest and i HATE traveling.The journey to North Wales is a nightmare for me,and hubby and i usualy argue most of the journey,(my fault).Then i'm fine when i get there,but argue coming back home.lol i'm ok as long as i know i can stop,or if i keep my eyes closed.Daft but true.:(

19. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Welsh was banned mostly during the 1800's, although it was still widely spoken in the less populated regions of Wales, it was banned in schools. Although that doesnt always stand as the case, someone I used to work with came from farming stock, couldnt speak or understand a word of it. She's a year older than me.

Janice you ought to try south Wales theres some lovely parts to it, and I'd have thought from your way, it would be a lot easier to get to. Straight down the M4. :D

20. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

I had the same. i grew up in Pembrokeshire (Pembroke Dock) and can't speak welsh. my nan can as its her first language, but I believe my grandad (who was from cardiff) couldn't, so banned her from speaking in the house.

Don't even have much of an accent these days either :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice