Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A Question for Breeders

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Milly22, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Have you ever kept a kitten just because it is BIG ? I know this may seem a very silly question but I have this HUGE kitten and have never had a kitten so HUGE so it makes me want to keep him but I have a few people who would like to buy him and perhaps I am being silly/selfish in keeping him?

Do you think I will, well Poppy will have another HUGE kitten at some point and as he is onyl 4 weeks on saturday will his size possibly calm down? He is no more advanced than the other kitten if anything the other one finds it easier to run as he is not so LARGE!

Sorry I am rambling. Would you keep him ? :confused:

#1 Milly22, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I would, In breeding i think you should keep what you like when they're born as next time she might not have a huge kitten. (god forbid what if their was problems next time?) I say follow your head and heart.

3. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Hmm my head and heart are a little confused right now, he is a very very big boy though and Poppy/Ice 1st litter and a tabby which I adore..... I feel a bit terrible for the other people though, although their will be more Poppy/Ice kittens but not so BIG, possibly.

I am very confused.:D

4. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

if he is what you like i say keep him. Dont feel sorry for the other people, its just one of those things.

5. doogpoh

doogpoh PetForums Senior

I would keep him but then im not a breeder :eek: if you let him go you will probably regret it, and if he doesn't turn out to be what you wanted im sure you will be able to find him a very good home, maybe with someone a little older that doesn't want a lively kitten running about the place.

6. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

I would only keep him really if you are going to use him if he is going to benefit your breeding programme in some way and then only if he has good type - being BIG alone doesn't really cut it. I know that sounds a little harsh but it so easy to keep wanting to keep a kitten from each litter and before you know it your numbers are way up and you start getting behavioural problems from your existing cats. If he has good type and well marked you should perhaps show him but otherwise I think it may be an idea to find him a lovely pet home.:D Can you post a piccie?:)

7. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

It's a difficult one. My Basil was huge when I bought him at less than four months, I just couldn't beleive how big he was, but now he is on the small side for the breed!

Liz

8. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Here are some pictures, if I did keep him obviously it would reduce space, but may regret it if I sell him or may not as he will be going to a nice home hmmm although both people who would like him have cats already and one has a cat with half a tail and another one with 3 legs so what would happen to mine? :eek:

Anyway, pictures........I may let him go to the Newcastle lady she sounds nice. Although she does have a persian.

Attached Files:

9. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

And another ...

Attached Files:

10. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

He looks a real sweetie. His mask looks quite reasonable - does he have clear legs and does he have a good profile? You could perhaps put him out on the show bench - see how he goes over the next few weeks.

11. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Yes, he does have clear legs and the lovely little retrousse tip to his nosebut after much thought I think I will let him go to the lady in Newcastle, possibly. :) :confused: :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice