Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

A question about training littermates

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ad_1980, May 14, 2010.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

dont' worry i've not done the stupid thing and bought two pups at the same time - my mother won't let me have any more dogs anyway lol

But anyway...

if you were to want to take littermates to training classes..would you take them together or separately?

Just wondered really?

2. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

I would either take my OH and one person has one pup each, or take them to two different classes personally
    xx

3. dimkaz

dimkaz PetForums VIP

to structured traininng classes it's probably best to take them separate...
    they easily gang up and get up to their usual things...even two dogs that live togeter will give yoiu problems if trained together.
    i have 4 littermates and my training routine is pretty flexible....
    teach them individually and then add them one by one....a bit on everything...
    i can now easily go walking with 2, three is a bit of a stretch...as they are 10 months old and weight in at KG50+ each...and i am only KG80....if they decide for whatever reason to make a runner i would be lost....

:)

4. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I would take them seperately - my two don't concentrate when they are together, they just want to play and they are always watching each other. When they are apart they behave completely differently and focus on me a lot more.

#4 alaun, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  5. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

I would take them both separately and together. :)

I would have DH handle one and I would take the other for one session a week, but then I would do my best to get them into separate training classes once a week as well.

During the day time, I spend around 30 minutes or so with each of my two boys separately anyways. They are very close in age. 13 and 10 months old now.

My reasons for taking them both together and separately is so they learn to work without each other, but they can also work AROUND each other.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice